HELP!

artemissanders

Hatching
Apr 26, 2017
Hi-
I've been hatching baby chicks, eleven of them hatched on friday and saturday (which was the due date) but the 12th hatched 2 days ago and hasn't been able to stand much since. Her feathers are not very fluffy and she has trouble opening her eyes. Her legs are very weak and when she does attempt to stand she mostly hobbles around and then flops over. I have been giving her vitamin supplements for the past day and giving her water through a dropper. I really don't want to lose her. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you

Update: I splinted her legs, and made her a pillow so she can rest without her legs falling from under her. She seems very weak and still can't walk. Please answer. Anything would be helpful.

G’Day from down under artemissanders
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am sorry to hear about your chick. Please post on the ER Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures The folks there are experienced and know their stuff.

I hope she is OK.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Teila has given you a link to the best forum for advice.

Good luck
CT

It would help the ER folks and us, figure out the problem if we could see good photos of how it stands (if at all) etc. You said it isn't very fluffy. I wonder if it is "shrink wrapped," that is where the feathers seem glued flat to the body. That could cause the chick to be clumsy - under it is bathed and it's feathers able to fluff up.

You can put "shrink wrapped chick," in the search box above to see if that is what yours looks like.

Back
Top Bottom