Is it a boy or is it a girl?

aglandaetap

Songster
Apr 26, 2017
Bridgeport CT
Hey everyone. I'm new at raising chickens. Just recently bought 8 chicks from a feed store. They were all supposed to be pullets (90% chance of being female, that is). It's been exactly two weeks since I got them. The chicks were 2-3 days old 2 weeks ago.
I started to see a few changes on them. One chick, the white leghorn has developed long feathers and has a very bossy behavior, a slightly bigger yellow comb. She's not necessarily mean but can chest-bump me when I stick my hand in their brooder box. I now wonder if that's a male behavior?
Two, the Rhode Island Red and the Black australorp are growing nicely together and still look "female", and are submissive.
Three, the Barred Rock's feathers are growing nicely but starts to look more of a male now. The dot on the head isn't necessarily small but always seemed defined. The legs are not black. It's more yellow with slight gray on themt. The bars on the the feathers started out dark gray with small silver bars, but the newer feathers on the shoulders have more of a silver bar (lighter than the very first feathers).
Four, there's a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Very cute, gently but with very slow feathering growing.
Five, a Black Sex Link, whose feathers are growing way too slowly. No feather on the tail yet, slightly pronounced comb.
Six, amareucana, lots of feathers in, the biggest of them all in height. Not sure if it's a cockerel, considering how tall he is in comparison.
Lastly, the Speckled Sussex is the second one in size. She's also a big girl.
I'd like you to see what you think and let me know if any of them look like it could be a cockerel.
Any input is appreciated.
#1 White Leghorn

#2 Rhode Island Red

#3 Black Australorp

#4 Barred Rock

#5 Silver Laved Wyandotte

#6 Black Sex Link

#7 Amareucana

#8 Speckled Sussex

The red lighting makes it impossible to see what color their combs are, if any are developing yet. If you can get new photos without the red light, please post at "what breed or gender is this." Please state age as that is very important.

G’Day from down under aglandaetap
frow.gif
Welcome & Congratulations!

Such little cuties!

This is a link to the Breed & Gender Forum Diva mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom