Ways to protect flock from predators.

JackNH

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2017
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I have 8 chicks all about 6 weeks old and with them ready to go into coop, what are some things you do to keep your flock safe from predators. I plan on getting better locks, some motion activated lights that only work at night, and secure chicken wire wherever its needed. PLEASE give me some ideas, I want to keep my chickies as safe as possible.
bow.gif

First make so that coop is not easy to pry or tear into yet had good ventilation and properly lit at roosting time. Coop provides not protection if chickens avoid using it because too hot or scary to use. Work to keep rodent abundance low by controlling availability of feed, especially at night. High rodent abundance and the sweet smell of feed can attract critters that will take chickens as secondary targets. Then consider establishing a buffer around coop that keeps critters / dogs from trying to challenge your coop design. There are many ways to employ hotwire / poultry netting that not only make free-range time safer, they can also be deployed where they are not an eye sore or overly inconvenient for you. Be observant and make so you can hear disturbances at night. Get a flashlite and have it ready for rapid checks on coop after dark. Get a live trap and deploy it when you suspect a predator is messing around the coop. Have trap before hand. Look into what you do with capture predator.

Also keep birds from roosting on or against coop floor or sides where predator can get really close. When predator can get really close it can reach in and dismember chickens through the wall or floor. This is where you see chickens with head, wing or feet chewed off. Most of the situations I have seen where predator chews through wire mesh or wooden wall, the chicken was in very close contact with where the hole was made. I have even had to deal with a predator chewing through the tougher versions of hardware cloth.

With chicks not yet roosting up, I have them roost in a box laying on its side at least a foot from the wall.

Back
Top Bottom