Hens acting normal but losing weight?

cbrooks

Hatching
Apr 25, 2016
Hi all,
My hens are skinny, particularly through the breast area. I have 4 orpington hens. They are are free range with a constant supply of organic pellet near their coop. They seem to be acting and eating normal, one has a bit of diarrhea but seems healthy otherwise. Coop and hens are mite/lice free and I don't see any other visible issues. They are still laying. They have not been wormed this year.
Anyone else having this problem? Should I try worming? They act fine but seem really bony, I'm so concerned.

Hi all,
My hens are skinny, particularly through the breast area. I have 4 orpington hens. They are are free range with a constant supply of organic pellet near their coop. They seem to be acting and eating normal, one has a bit of diarrhea but seems healthy otherwise. Coop and hens are mite/lice free and I don't see any other visible issues. They are still laying. They have not been wormed this year.
Anyone else having this problem? Should I try worming? They act fine but seem really bony, I'm so concerned.

More than likely they have worms. Mine eat good but were getting thinner so I wormed them a few weeks back and they are adding weight now. I worm mine with a wormer that will get the worms as well as tape worms----a lot of wormers won't touch a tape worm.

Not picking...honestly do not remember what you use.

Fenbendazole is what I use. Other things would probably work but it has worked so good for my flock. I started using it back when I had a serious tape worm problem--- now its what I use any time I feel/see I have a worm problem and Yes I mix it in their drinking water as prescribed by the DMV because I had so many that needed worming. It works great that way for me.

I gave all of them .5cc each of Safe-guard(Fenbendazole). How long will it take before you start seeing the weight coming back?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Welcome to BYC! It would be best to have a vet check their poop for worm eggs and coccidia. The 0.5 ml of Safeguard you gave them might treat large roundworms, but it will not treat any other worms :(.

I gave all of them .5cc of Safe-guard. How long will it take before you start seeing the weight coming back?

I guess you did it oral---I have never given it to them oral so someone familiar with that will have to help you. I mix mine with their water--fresh batch every morning for 3 days. Works great!

Oh, you need to repeat the dose in ten days, and most people do not eat the eggs until two weeks after the second worming.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom