-

clamccauley

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2017
-
I've had a broken egg in my nesting boxes every day for a week and 2 times I found one on the ground. The shell seemed strong enough, but I could tell it had not been pecked. It looked more like it was lightly crushed with the yolk inside still. A few days into the week, my 3 year old Austalorp hen started walking around with her tail pointed down. It was late one evening and she would walk "normal" and then drop her tail back down as she walked. The next morning, she came out of the coop "normal", but would occasional do the same thing with her tail and started sitting around a little more than usual. She's pooping normal, eating and drinking the same as the other hens and otherwise seems fine. I looked up possible reasons and found some info on egg binding.

The next morning, she was the last one out of the coop and was leaning a little on her perch using her wing to hold her up! I went to help her down, but she flew on out. She walked around fine for a short time, and then dropped her tail and then sat down.

I gave her a warm bath, lightly massaging het vent area and even used a little vaseline. I did not feel an egg inside, but also don't really know what I was looking for.

She was sitting on the lawn just that evening, so I placed her in a nesting box. I didn't want her being too weak to sit on a perch and falling off in the night. She stayed there all night. This morning, the other hens came out as usual and she stayed put. I changed water and filled feed and she finally hopped out. She looked great for about 10 minutes but then went and sat down while the other girls kept foraging around the yard. Eventually, 2 other hens went and stood by her.

Her eyes look good and she seems to go back and forth between looking like she normally does, and then looking uncomfortable. I've been watching her so much that it seems like she's walking odd. Like her pelvis is dropped. Compared to the other hens, her legs are set wider, but for the life of me I can't really recall if she's always walked that way. My husband says she has.

I'm not sure if she's laying broken eggs or if that's not related and I just have an egg eating hen. We live 90 miles from town and we will not be taking her to a vet, however, I will do anything within reason to help her feel better. I don't want her suffering or having something that could spread to my other girls. I gave her some scrambled eggs the past two days and put some ACV in their water. She also had a little greek yougurt with her feed. and SEEMS to be eating and drinking OK

Is this something that will pass??

Last edited:
G’Day from down under clamccauley
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope the folks on the ER Forum are able to help you out and your girl makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Thank you!! I see that now. :) I posted and have had no replies. My post shows up a tan color when all of the others are gray. Did I do something wrong or is it just highlighting it because it's mine?

Back
Top Bottom