Need advice- New to this

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
We have never raised meat birds and are still trying to figure out what we are doing. I have kind of settled on getting 10 red rangers and 10 dual purpose meat birds. I was thinking barred rocks but figured I'd ask here?! We want to do both so we can compare. I also like the idea of something that could set on eggs to make more for later. Thoughts?

My thoughts are to go for it. The only way you can compare is to try it. We all have different goals, criteria, tastes, set-ups, and everything else. What works for me may not work for you.

Rangers are different from dual purpose chickens. The dual purpose will grow slower and even in the end probably have less meat. They will probably have a different flavor and texture because they will probably be older when you butcher. The proportions of white to dark meat will probably be different, I’ve never raised the Rangers so I don’t know for sure. Some people on here have tried keeping Rangers for breeding and a few have been OK with it, but most that try that are greatly disappointed.

Are you planning on plucking or skinning the dual purpose birds? If you skin it doesn’t matter, but a dark bird like a barred rock will have a lot of dark pin feathers when plucked. You might be happier getting a white or buff bird. The pin feathers will still be there but you won’t see them nearly as well. It makes for a prettier carcass.

My thoughts are to go for it. The only way you can compare is to try it. We all have different goals, criteria, tastes, set-ups, and everything else. What works for me may not work for you.

Rangers are different from dual purpose chickens. The dual purpose will grow slower and even in the end probably have less meat. They will probably have a different flavor and texture because they will probably be older when you butcher. The proportions of white to dark meat will probably be different, I’ve never raised the Rangers so I don’t know for sure. Some people on here have tried keeping Rangers for breeding and a few have been OK with it, but most that try that are greatly disappointed.

Are you planning on plucking or skinning the dual purpose birds? If you skin it doesn’t matter, but a dark bird like a barred rock will have a lot of dark pin feathers when plucked. You might be happier getting a white or buff bird. The pin feathers will still be there but you won’t see them nearly as well. It makes for a prettier carcass.

We are definitely going to do it but I haven't decided on which dual purpose bird would be best for us. We plan on plucking 50% and skinning the others. Are some birds more white meat? We are just jumping in and figured we'll learn as we go but I'm not sure which other breed would be a good choice. Also looking for one that will sit on eggs so we can just keep going with them every year.

Back
Top Bottom