New at this and curious how many eggs to expect

Nietz

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
New England
Hi, This is my first go around with chickens and I've got 8 all together, 2 barred rocks, 3 tetra browns and 3 leghorns BUT I am pretty sure one of the leghorns is a rooster because its starting to get what my daughter calls "pretty feathers on his butt" and I am thinking it may be a rooster, we'll see I guess.

Anywho, they are 8 weeks old now and I was looking at them this afternoon and thinking "what a bunch of free loaders" and started thinking about how many eggs I can realistically expect once they start laying assuming that I have 7 hens.

So, any of you more seasoned folks have a guess at what a new guy can expect for eggs per day? per week? of course I understand anything would be educated guesses but I'm curious and in the spirit of trying to be active on the forums I thought I'd ask.

2 barred rocks
2 leghorns (assuming the one is a rooster)
3 Tetra browns.

What say you?

Thanks!
Nietz

LG's egg estimate is good.

8 weeks is too young for pretty butt feathers(haha!)
BUTT......
8 week old cockerel should be obvious with larger/redder comb and wattles(by 6 weeks actually).

Best of cLuck!!

That's a lot of eggs! :) Thanks for the replies guys.

LG's egg estimate is good.

8 weeks is too young for pretty butt feathers(haha!)
BUTT......
8 week old cockerel should be obvious with larger/redder comb and wattles(by 6 weeks actually).

Best of cLuck!!
No red on them and all 3 look the same hmmm perhaps they are all hens after all ;)

Back
Top Bottom