Geese are the Greatest

greyfields

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Washington State
I propose that among my poultry and waterfowl, Geese reign supreme. My mother and wife are both from England, so the concept of having a Christmas Goose was always "the norm". However, now that I've started raising them myself (and breeding next year), why didn't I own geese sooner? My observations on geese:

1) No problems with coccidiosis.
2) I have lost 3 goslings to drowning, trampling and a great horned owl. All 3 are my fault.
3) We have raised 20 from day old goslings (2 crops of 10). They "imprinted" on my wife and I, so they follow us like dogs around the yard.
4) I raised 6 goslings under their moms and dads (a pair of Pilgrims and Tufted Romans). I wouldn't do this again. The goslings are way to wild and the parents are supremely defensive of the little ones. They'll nip at you and generally frighten guests to our house.
5) Geese make great "guard dogs". Whenever a car pulls up in the driveway, they let me know. They also recognize our neighbors and don't bother to get up when they arrive. If a stranger comes, though, they're all up there to investigate.
6) Geese are a little too inquisitive and mischevious. They've made off with several hand tools from my workshop. They also learned way too quickly that if they pull the strings off the feed bags, all the feed will spill out. When they break into the feed room, they leave a couple outside standing guard. If they see me leave the house, the "sentries" make a big noise and they all walk out like they weren't into anything.

So, currently we have:

20 embdems
6 tufted romans
4 pilgrims

I can't wait to breed next year. I've sold 16 as Christmas geese... so that leaves me a pair of tufted, pilgrim and 3 pairs embdems to breed.

Finally, Olive. She's the leader of the oldest Embdem crop. She loves to come up to me on the porch (we have a glass window in the front door, they have a bad habit of coming up to watch what we're doing in the kitchen) and have a stroke and snuggle each night. She typically ruins it by crapping all over my lap... but, I usually wait until I'm already dirty to have "Olive Time".

Greyfields I agree. We have 2 5 month old embdens an 5 1/1/2 month old embdens The older two we got when they were 1 1/2 months old from a framer friend they are not as friendly as the younger ones that we raisined from 2 days old. I love to watch them in their yard So tall and white they are so beautiful. Ours however as very spoiled and its my fault. I cut up greens for them three times a day so they get enough niacin as well as their feed. Now they wont forage at all they prefer to waiit for their salads. I'm not doing this as much with the younger ones They are already used to foraging I still give them treats but I encourage them to frage as well. I wasn't all that exciited about getting the geese at first now I can't imagine being without them. Micki

I agree, geese make the BEST pets! IF they are raised with respect, they will respect you. My Bella La Goosie loves to climb in my lap for snuggle time and she preens my hair, too!

She is broody right now

577937722_6b4c426311.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1050/577937722_6b4c426311.jpg

She also watches out for stray airplanes.

459138755_27b18f7334.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/459138755_27b18f7334.jpg

We sell vegetables at a farmer's market down here. The geese get the leafy off-cuts...but do suffer a bit, because the pigs get so excited for their vegetables it's hard to play favorites. But of course, I like "the goosies" better.
big_smile.png

Quote:
***ROFL***

big_smile.png

big_smile.png

lol.png

lol.png

Last edited:
I love my geese. I know have 8 and I am getting another one this weekend with an adoption of 5 more up in the air. I just can't say no. They are such beautiful birds and I love to just sit and watch them

Untitled-52.jpg

This is my flock of 7... The new girl more hangs with the ducks then the geese - I am working on getting pictures of her very soon.

Untitled-66.jpg

These 3 I hand raised from babies. They will get so close to you.. but it is on their terms.

Untitled-69.jpg

These are the last 2 I adopted about 3 months ago. They are sweet.. but very skidish towards us. Unfortunetly the one with the black beak got accepted into the flock with the others.. but they isolate the gray one. I dont know what to do. I am thinking I am going to bring him up to the house and put him with the new girl and see if he stays with her. I guess we will see. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here are a few misc picks of my guys. I LOVE MY GEESE!!!

Untitled-31.jpg

Untitled-36.jpg

Untitled-35.jpg

Untitled-55.jpg

What kind of geese are the grey one. We ordered 6 white embdens in June they have all mostly turned white except for two that have those grey markings on their back, wings and head. I'm thinking they are mutts. Doesn't matter I named them Yasmine and Chloe at least I can tell them apart from their sisters. Micki

A lot of embdems will have soem darker feather above their tails... if it's more prevelant, though, then they probably were crossed with a pilgrim at some point. The nice looking grey ones were Pilgrim females I believe.

I don't have a spiffy pond or stream for them yet, and I'm not willing to let them go into the Columbia for a swim. But, I think geese do fine on land, as long as they have some nice big tubs of water to bathe in.

Here my older Embdems (known as "The Collective") are telling the younger Embdems and the Ducks who's boss.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom