Cayuga ducks???

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
Would these be a wise choice for a backyard duck? I have a neighbor that can't stand a roosters crowing....so not sure about a duck quack. I haven't heard Cayugas in person but have heard Pekins and Runners...both of which are really loud.
I would probably only have a pair of trio if any. And they would live with the chickens.
Thanks!
big_smile.png

With ducks, it is the girls that are loud and the boys that are quiet. My buff female is a major loud mouth!!!

My Khaki hen is pretty quiet though.

Found this on Wiki....
"For those who wish to keep ducks, but live close to others that would make keeping the Pekin breed impractical because of the loud quack, The Cayuga duck may be an alternative as its quack is not as loud or frequent as the Pekin. The temperament of the Cayuga is docile."

Oh yeah, they're loud. Any female duck I've ever come across has been loud. But they are beautiful birds, I have one female now and will hopefully be getting a few more in the spring.

I have a male cayuga now and I have only heard him quack once or twice and it is a very quiet quack, like he's whispering. I definitely want to get him some girlfriends.
love.gif

Perfectly Polish, had Cayugas and I think I recall saying her cayuga female was the loudest of her duck flock!

I think I've read the Muscovies are one of the quietest.

-Kim

We have a cayuga female and a magpie male that live with my flock of chickens. She is the loudest, even louder the the roosters!She is a real sweetie though. She runs whenever my kids bring them nibbles after school.

I have one cayuga duck in my mixed flock. I never hear her quack!! I also never hear my rouen duck quack. Maybe it is because the two pekin ducks are so loud, the cayuga and rouen don't think they need to say anything?
gig.gif

Cayugas are supposed to be a quiet breed, though I have heard a lot of people say that theirs are loud. Mine makes almost no noise at all. Usually the only time the pekins are loud is when they want something, or they are scared.

We have nine Cayuga females and while I'd say they are probably the quietest of the five breeds we raise, they can still raise a ruckus when they're motivated!

If noise is the biggest issue, I'd suggest just getting drakes. Since they don't quack, only whisper, you could get any breed you like.

Webfoot

Back
Top Bottom