Ugggh - Horrid Temperature Spike - UPDATE Baby Pics!

AngieChick

Poultry Elitist
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Willamette Valley, OR
I am so very sad, sleep deprived, and stressed
sad.png
hit.gif
:

After almost 2 weeks of my bator keeping great temps and me feeling pretty smug about it, I had a spike come in out of nowhere yesterday evening. A very bad one at that (like over 120). I caught it after just a few minutes, 10 max, and moved everything over to my hova bator. I didn't have time to soak it in bleach, so I just had DH wipe it down really well with a vinegar cleaning solution and hoped that's enough. I was up all night regulating the temps in the hova, afraid that it too would spike due to my having to set it up so fast. I candled this morning, and still see veins on the ones that are further along, so maybe? 15 silkie eggs on day 5 from chickenzoo, 13 silkie eggs on day 2 from silkiechicken.

I have no idea what happened. The only thing I can think of is that the wire to the thermostat sensor got pinched in the door? I don't trust it in the least right now, and will do some revamping on the whole heating system in it. If this was going to happen, I am glad it happened so early. It would have been much more devastating to lose so many much later in development.

So, my question is - If I still see veins after 15 hours, does that mean they are still viable? Is there even any hope?

Last edited:
That is pretty high, but it depends on how long the temp was up. IF it was really brief, it's possible the heat did not reach the interior of the eggs.
GOOD LUCK. Please let us know how they turn out.

Quote:
It was VERY brief, only a few minutes. The 6 days still veining for the most part, I am not sure when I would stop seeing veins if they died? It's been almost 24 hours.

Katrinag - sorry about your eggs, thank you for letting me know what the impact was on them. I am still holding out hope, but I have already made possible arrangements for more eggs.

Last edited:
Hopefully you caught it early enough and it wont effect your hatch. I had a spike of 108 on day two with this hatch, and I still have developing eggs and I am on day 10 today. I did lose two however after the spike.

Keep us updated as to how it goes
smile.png

So far it looks like I only lost a couple. I don't know what, if any, ramifications there will be on the actual hatch, but so far so good.

I candled a couple of the day 4 ones and did see a bit of veining on one, so hopefully they made it through alright.

After fussing with my naughty incubator for an hour or so, it has been keeping a perfect temperature almost 2 days now. My digital thermometer tells me the highs/lows, so I can see if it spiked. It's kept within .4degrees. The eggs will stay in the hova bator until hatch, then I'll put the first batch in my LG still air. My big bator is going to have to be good for 2 weeks before I trust it again.

Back
Top Bottom