Harford County MD

KatsCountryCritters

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
I live on half an acre in a R1 zone. I cannot find any information on poultry laws fro Harford County. Baltimore County says you must have 1 acre. Does anyone know the laws in Harford?

I was hoping to find out something too KatsCountryCritters! Can you have chickens in Harford county on 1/2 acre?

The only resource I found for Harford County is that if you have over 150 birds, you must register your flock. I found the link a while back, but now I can't find it.

I have 7 birds, and I have an acre. I haven't registered them.

Thank you Kimchick. My husband was with me but now his brother really wants us to have chickens. He tasted fresh eggs for the first time a few months ago. LOL

I live in Cecil County, where it requires one acre. You might just call your local library and ask for the reference desk. Ask there, Our librarians have always been pleased to look up answers that stump me.

Hi there,

We live in Dublin, Maryland, in Harford County, and we want to make sure we're allowed to have chickens.

My daughter Jamie (aged almost 6) has been around chickens when visiting friends on farms, and LOVES them. We can't have dogs or cats due to both mild allergies and a tiny old house with no space for indoor pets (aside from our fish). After seeing how much my daughter loved just hanging out with chickens and cuddling them, I agreed to get two chickens ( we then discovered 3 is the minimum, which is fine). Jamie has already named her chicken Princess! (And wants me to paint their coop pink!)

We have neighbors who have chickens, as well as other neighbors who have ponies and goats, and it's a very agricultural area, so I'm guessing that 3 chickens is okay. But I just can't find anything in writing on the Harford County Government website. I'm at the library now, came here after ordering our 3 chicks, and even the reference librarian could not find an definite answer.

If anyone knows of some clearcut laws, I'd love to hear from you. So far, the best I can make out is that 5 animals or under is okay. However, our lot is narrow and long, so I'm not sure if the chickens can be 25 feet from both property lines. Since the house on one side is only occasionally lived in (the owners moved out and sometimes let a family member or friend stay there for a few weeks or months, but it's vacant a lot), and since the neighbors on the other side have 3 dogs, I was planning on putting the coop closer to the vacant side. I'll have to measure things when I get home, if it's even an issue. If they are considered pets, then I guess it doesn't matter???

I'm also wondering if we need a permit to have a chicken coop in the first place? I found one I want to buy, but hate to buy it only to find out that we have to jump through a million hoops to have chickens or set up a coop...

Thanks in advance!

Amy & Jamie

PS- We're planning on going to Chicks Night Out at the Mill in Whiteford next Wed, if anyone else is going and wants to share their chicken advice with us! :)

Hi Amy! You might ask when your at the mill if they know the laws better. I go to the same mill to get my supplies and I can't remember the name of the guy who runs the place but he knows everything. I will probably also be at the chicks night out. Looking forward to it :)

Anyone looking for a Rooster? I have some extra ones that came with my chicks back in September. Rhode Island red, silver laced. I have another Brahma (feathered feet) but not yet sure its a rooster... If you know someone that needs a rooster I am in Harco or near.

Back
Top Bottom