Rhode Island Red chick pictures

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Would you all please post pictures of your true RIR chick pictures? My nephew was at the feed store and purchased what he was told were RIR pullet chicks. He paid 3$ each for them. They are now putting on wing feathers and they are white!! Is this RIR?? Please show me your chicks...Thanks

These chicks that I hatched a couple of weeks ago are from my dark red/mahogany RIR.

100_1125.jpg
100_1127.jpg

Quote:
Many of the "Production Reds" are some sort of Rhode Island Red cross that will show varying degrees of white in their feathers. One of these production crosses is called a Red Star, you can find a picture of one here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RedStarhen.jpg

I'd guess you have some of these (or some other popular production cross).

Thank you, I think his pullet chicks will end up looking like this Red Sta Hen... I didn't have the heart to tell him they looked nothing like the RIR I have seen... Just to much white..

Also, I was watching the cooking channel today, and they had a Bobby Flay program where he visited a farm with "Rhode Island Red Hens" and they looked just like this Red Star hen...

Quote:
Many of the "Production Reds" are some sort of Rhode Island Red cross that will show varying degrees of white in their feathers. One of these production crosses is called a Red Star, you can find a picture of one here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RedStarhen.jpg

I'd guess you have some of these (or some other popular production cross).

Not to be rude but that is incorrect. The birds you are referring to are RED SEX-LINKS, not production reds. Red sex-links are, however, crosses that involve RIR, that much is true.

But production reds are Rhode Island Reds that have been bred more for egg production rather than adhering to the breed standard.

WOW Katy! I am IMPRESSED! They are gorgeous. I have more RIR than anything else (in adults), but those chicks are truly breathtaking! WOW!

Quote:
Not to be rude but that is incorrect. The birds you are referring to are RED SEX-LINKS, not production reds. Red sex-links are, however, crosses that involve RIR, that much is true.

But production reds are Rhode Island Reds that have been bred more for egg production rather than adhering to the breed standard.

Sorry, that was a bit sloppy. I intended the quotes around "Production Reds" to be of the air quote variety indicating that some people may incorrectly refer to these crosses as production reds. But, I fell into the same trap when I later said "production cross", I should have said something like "these crosses that are egg producing machines".

Red Sexlinks are called by many names, Golden Comet, Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, and Gold Star come to mind. Some of these refer to specific crosses and some, I imagine, are just different names given by different hatcheries (though I could easily be wrong about that).

Back
Top Bottom