Leg/foot problems in coturnix quail

CheerfulChaos

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
Valley of the scorched earth
I have three quail that are showing some problem with their legs. They aren't splay legged, but their legs just seem to be weak. The quail can get around still, but not real well. I didn't see any problems with their legs or feet during the first week or so, this is a fairly recent development (they will be 3 weeks old on Sunday). I am feeding them 28% gamebird mash (non-medicated). I put the three into a separate brooder so that they get plenty of access to food and water. I also put them onto shavings to see if that would help give them some traction since they were getting pretty scraped up on the wire, since they tend to shuffle around on their legs instead of their feet. Any ideas as to what's going on? They are a little smaller than the other 27 in the brooder, could it be a possibility that they just weren't getting enough food (protein)?

I have had some jumbo coturnix chicks do that shuffle around on their legs instead of their feet and at first when I read this I thought that's what this was but since they are actually getting scuffed up Id' say it's a physical issue rather than just being a heavy lazy chick (like the jumbos in my case that will walk around basically on their knees to the feed and water because it's easier lol)!

It sounds like they ma have had slight splay leg and are now showing signs of it with getting a lil older, that or it may be a genetic issue in the flock that layed the eggs or even that maybe thte flock the eggs came from are lacking something so so are the chicks? Theres a number of possibilities. Hopefully they get better with age?

Hi,
I have just had some foot/ankle problems that have begun to develop in my 2 week old quail chicks. The feet/ankle of one foot are turning outward. This doesn't appear to be splay legged as the brooder surface isn't slippery, although I do have a slanted cover on my heat plate that they try to get on and it is slippery. It only seems to be affecting one leg. The feet are clean and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the toes or feet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You,
SuseyQ

Back
Top Bottom