NORTHERN California!

Pics

lindseythefork

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Humboldt County, CA
There's a lot of us Californians in here, but what about northern CA? Like, seriously northern: I'm in Humboldt County.
smile.png

Last edited:
Well, Hello Northern Californians!

I am in Sacramento, as well. We are facing a tragedy here- the landlord of a house down the street(not the people living in the house) complained to animal control about the fact that there are chickens in the yard of a house NEXT to his rental. Animal control did come out yesterday and fined him $500.00 dollars because he had 10 chickens in the yard. We(and at least one other neighbor) also have chickens. I heard that there was a motion to change the city codes to allow some chickens within the city limits- do you know anything about this?

My whole family has been crying this afternoon, because we have had some of these birds for 10 years- they are family members. I guess I will take them to Fair Oaks and turn them loose in the park- I promised my daughter that we would not let animal control take them and kill them.
sad.png

Ivy

Quote:
I just looked up the zoning code for City of Sac pertaining to livestock. Yeesh...it's very draconian...no livestock of any kind, period.

Many cities are looking for ways to go green. Here's hoping they are looking at revising this to at least allow hens in residential zones.

How many do you have? There are tons of people here with chickens, you can rehome them here, definately. They will die if you let them loose in wild or at the humane society, euthanization is better than some of the ways they can without someone sheltering and feeding them. Post in craigslist under humboldt county, your situation and u will get responses. You may offer to meet halfway though.

Last edited:
I'm an hour and a half north of Sacramento in a dinky town called Cool.
big_smile.png
Humbolt has such a lovely poultry show every year! I love driving up there to attend.

Ivy, don't do that! Hens are easy to rehome. I can think of 3 people, myself included, that would take them. Also, there was just a huge ordinance about chickens in Sac county that failed. I'm not sure about where you live, but I know that more rural areas are now allowed to keep chickens AND roosters... as many as they like. A friend of mine was super involved with the failure of this ordinance, you should contact him and ask about your situation. His name is Chris Tomayo and his email is [email protected]. He's a nice guy, he'll help you out. He lives in Citrus Heights... isn't that a pretty urban area?

Good advice so far! I hope you find homes for them!

I'm about 30 minutes from Sac in the 'Republic of Davis'
wink.png
Nice to see what folks are here in Norcal!

Back
Top Bottom