Fairfax County, VA

Nisorat

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Hello!

I live in Fairfax County Va and am interested in getting chickens. I have no privacy fence and so it'd be obvious if I raised them illegally. The Co. ordinance says:

" The keeping of livestock or domestic fowl is allowed as an accessory use on any lot of two (2) acres or more in size. "

I have .44 acres and can't afford anything larger! I've been thinking about petitioning the County to change the rules but was wondering if anybody else from the area is around the forum and has ideas or wants to help. I'm not even sure how to start, but I figure I'll just start making phone calls and go from there.

Thanks in advance!

I looked up the full code:

The keeping of livestock or domestic fowl shall be allowed as an accessory use on any lot of two (2) acres or more in size. The keeping of such livestock or domestic fowl shall be in accordance with the following:
The number of domestic fowl kept on a given lot shall not exceed the ratio of one (1) bird unit per one (1) acre, with a bird unit identified as follows:
32 chickens = 1 bird unit
16 ducks = 1 bird unit
8 turkeys = 1 bird unit
8 geese = 1 bird unit

So, it's ok to have 64 chickens running around 2 acres, but 3 on half an acre is a no go... interesting.
hmm.png

Look up the definition of pets, check on the availability of a variance, check out the Washington Post--there was an article on urban chickens in the DC area just a few days ago.

I checked out the pet angle - no cigar. Even though you could consider chicken's pets, you still have to abide by the original zoning rules.

I called zoning enforcement and was told that the ONLY way to have chickens was to buy 2 acres of land. And, also that there was absolutely no possibility that the ordinance was going to change, nor was there anyway for an ordinary citizen to try and change it.

Ok, sure.... I'm thinking about writing the county commissioner next, but does anybody else have good ideas?

Thanks!

Remember that government employees work FOR YOU. You are their boss, and individual citizen voices matter--especially when you can record the echo from many other like-minded voices.

I live in Fairfax County, VA, too and I was also dismayed that the ordinances preclude having backyard hens on lots less than 2 acres. I wonder if there is a way to pursue having the law changed.

Of course there is--find out exactly how the ordinances are passed in your county, and start lobbying the appropriate people for change. The more residents you can get on board, the more likely you are to achieve success.

That was worded poorly - of course there is a way to have the ordinances changed. I was thinking about what the likelihood of success might be. Based upon the response (readers comments) to a Washington Post article on the subject on May 14th, it looks like there isn't a majority of popular support in that vocal community of the larger metro area.

one problem.... if you get chicks, you HAVE to buy 6. thats va law. its called the easter chicken law or something. i agree the assesment that 64 chickens on two acres is somehow less offensive?

Back
Top Bottom