sexing turkey poults

nope !! Not at an early age !!

Older they get some breeds have different colors on certain feathers and some just by their feet,leg and body size if they are all the same age.

Hi,

Watch the behaviour of the poults and hopefully by day 9 the little jakes will be strutting. Also, apparently-- you can -almost- tell by the shape of their snood bumps. Something to consider.

gp

I raise slate turkeys. I would not bet money on anyone's ability to sex turkeys other than vent sexing. I am not knowledgeable on that. I have sold young hens, so I thought, only to have the person bring back a gobbling Tom.

Listen to them "talk" when they are happy. The girls have a louder giggle, the boys will usually make a softer single chirp.

Best way to know for sure is when the boys fluff and strut and the boys don't lay eggs.

My ten week old poults are clearly different. The snood on the Tom is already dangling, while the Hen's snood is just a bump on her head. The Tom is twice the size of the Hen, and he wattle is three times as big. He has caruncles that turn deep red and bulgy when he gets upset. He kind of is starting to gobble. I think he surprises himself when a gobble comes out.

If you know what your looking for you can find the start of the beard at 6 weeks. Hens won't have it but a young Tom will. You'll have to move some feathers around on the chest. It's pretty darn accurate. I looked at all these threads and nobody ever says to do this. Once they have feathers it will be there.

My poults are 12 weeks old...can anyone tell what they are?

Back
Top Bottom