Are Chickens Allowed in Indianapolis?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
Inside city limits what is the Ordinances to having these?!

Are there a limit? No Roos? Need a permit?!

I have a friend in the area who is convinced she is not allowed them at all... and until I find out otherwise she won't even think about it I'm sure. (She doesn't want to get attached to the idea if she can't move forward with it.)

Yes they are allowed in Indianapolis. There are no ordinances against them, however there is a noise ordinance. We don't let our roo out until after 9am. I have talked to the city and animal control as well. Tell your friendto get some chickens!

By the way we are in Marion county, we have 47 chickens and 2 turkey poults.
ETA: If there is a HOA involved, there might be regulations against them.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, she'll be thrilled!!!

I don't know if she will do it, but I know I planted the seed or we wouldn't have brought it up 3-4 times this week! HAHAHAHA

Don't forget to tell her about BYC
wink.png

Let her know that she is more than welcome to see our chickens. We are on the south side of the city. We love chicken visitors! We are also having a meetup in August.
ETA:
I don't know what kind of chickens she is looking to get but we have Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, Seramas, Mille Fleur d'Uccle, Game fowl, cochins, frizzle, Japanese bantams and showgirl!

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know that she is really looking... but I'm sure pictures of gorgeous birds and yummy eggs may sway her. She's a cook and a gardener and I think chickens would fit in just perfect!!!!

Of course, I hope she knows she doesn't need 47 to feed her needs! LOL
lol.png

What about coop distance from house? I'm wanting to get started, but the location I have is very close to the the rear on my house, but at least 50 feet from any entrace or window, so not a hygiene concern. I'd like to make sure I don't get shut down by code enforcement..

This is great! im really want a chicken and my mom thinks they are illegal in Marion county so here is another reason for me to get one yippeeeee!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom