SEVIN (Carbaryl) Powder Being Discontinued...

quiltnchik

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Virginia
I went to our local feed store the other day looking for SEVIN dust to spread around to help with the tick infestation in our yard. I was informed by the clerk that SEVIN powder is being phased out and they are now switching to granules and/or liquid (used with a water hose). This is the info I found tonight from the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-PEST/2009/March/Day-18/p5695.htm

Are the granules safe around chickens? Some of the granules are just outside the run and it worries me that I'm going to carry them in on my shoes when I walk in to close up the coop, etc. Does anyone have any other info on this?

Wow been using the stuff for years. Just got 3 lbs today at home depot, Guess I'll be getting a few more cans tomorrow, I hope?
Thanks for the heads up...

The lady I talked to said they were banning it due to years of "misuse" and "over use." I'm not crazy about chemicals either, but SEVIN is a reliable insecticide for those times you absolutely need it. I did manage to find a 5 lb bag the other day at my local Southern States, and they also had bags of the Carbaryl powder (5%), which is the active ingredient in SEVIN. The liquid is fine for spraying your yard and garden, but I doubt my chicks would appreciate being sprayed with the water hose!
gig.gif

I just bought a bag yesterday.
for around the coop area. but will use the liquid.
I have used the liquid around the house and never thought of it being harmfull. thanks .

I wondered why when I asked for seven dust the otherday they gave me bag of Carbaryl powder. I just figured it was some sort of namebrand. All the directions were the same.
roll.png

Well crap-ola I depend on that stuff for my garden! Thanks for the heads up, my local Meijer had quite a few bags of it...off I go tomorrow to stock up
roll.png

Why are they always jacking around with stuff?
hu.gif

When I did wildbird rehab, Sevin dust 5% was recommended by our wildlife vet to use on those birds that came in with mites.

It is not toxic to them and worked.

Thanks for the heads up...
smile.png

We'll stock up on this now in case we need it for our chicks.

I just told the husband "let's go buy some Sevin before it's gone" then I clicked on the link that new2chooks posted from the EPA and read the article first.

I was struck that the "registrant" requested this action from the EPA. So the manufacturer of Sevin Powder has petitioned the EPA to no longer allow it to be used in gardens or on poultry.

If the manufacturer of a poison has requested that the EPA ban the use of the substance on poultry, I get the feeling that I had better not use it any longer, regardless of how well it works. You don't often hear about multinational corporations asking for their products to be banned. It makes me a bit nervous.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom