Bedding for Duck House? Hay or Shavings?

Lolliegee

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
My duck house will be finished this weekend and I've been wondering what to use. I've read that ducks prefer hay, but I also know a lot of people use wood shavings. I'd love to know what you use and why.

I having been using bedding, but my ducks are about 8 weeks and 5 weeks.

Hay is soft, but when wet it grows mold really fast.

since bedding is getting costly. what i was going to do, is get PDZ or Dry Stall, it absorbs moisture, controls order, and mix it with the hay.

I have a pen outside for my ducks, and once hay/straw gets wet IT NEVER DRIES!
hit.gif

It does seem to get moldy very fast as well.

Personally, when we finish the small barn (10'x14') I'm going to switch to shavings, because the people we bought the silver appleyards from used them, and it was a neater appearance than hay. And it would probably compost better. And you could theoretically just scoop out the wet spots, but who knows? But I guess it all depends on if you have like a lumber yard or something nearby. Use what is cheaper, or just whatever you think is best.

Whichever you choose, you must commit yourself to changing the bedding often.
Ducks are messy, wet, and their poo is gooey. They are more work than chickens however, well worth the effort in the entertainment factor.
I use straw.

This is my mission in life,..sad huh...but it's been a nightmare th whole bedding thing. I tried wood shavings,..they eat them,..tried newspaper, they eat them,...tried rubber shelf liner,..just plain grosque,...talked to feed and grain guy,..he says wood shavings,..I say they eat it and then end up either blocking their airway or panting, I don't really ant to do the straw things again when the ducks is staggering about with a bloacked airway,..most likely same issue with the whole panting thing,...I ask him about woodchips,..he said the same as shavings,..doggy pads,..they said chemical issue,..sand,..they could block themselves up on it,...so tonight I once again cleaned out the brooder and my husband came up with this weird foam blanket type thing,..I am going to try that for the night,..but I had a thought,..if this doesn't work how about those pink styrafoam looking sheets of insulation you use to do basements,..now that could have possibibilites,..not the itchy scratchy insulation,...its like a board. It could multipurpose,..easily hosed down,..and would keep them warm
Contrarily,..my mallard have shaving and they work fine for them..it's the mixes that eat them and everything else.

Last edited:
That insulation is styrofoam, which isn't good for anything to eat..and they WILL eat it, my hens found some exposed insulation and started pecking at it ..so the ducks will probably do it too.

Also, don't put TOO MUCH shavings in your duck house... We only put a bit of shavings in for them to hunker down in at night, everything else is just vinyl flooring so it can't get too mucky (this is the brooder, but the house will be the same except instead of shavings... Straw or hay, arrange it much like a nest box).

Yep your probably right, they would eat it!!! As for the shavings I have gone every which way small amount,..large amount,..no matter what I do they forage. The blankety thing my husband came up with so far looks kind of interesting,..they are quiet comfy I just have to see if by the morning it ends up as ghastly as the shelf liner. The reasons I stayed away from hay was because first I thought I might have a heart attack if they started trying to munch on that and look like sword swallowers,..and second it gets so wet and goes moldy so quickly. I tell you they are darling,..but I am going to be so exited when they have their on shack out back. I do all the mess cleanup inside,..but when they get out back, what a honey do list, my honey will have,..LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom