Looking for pattern for homemade chicken diaper

Queen of the Lilliputians

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Maine
Weird question here. Mods, hope this is in the right place..

Anyone have a pattern for a chicken diaper? Hubby would shoot me if I bought one offline (this has to fly under the radar!). I have a ton of cloth to use.

My poor little Jane! The chickens in the coop are bullying her something awful (no bloodshed, though, thankfully) and she isn't getting anything to eat or drink. I bring her in the house and put her in a rubbermaid container every day.. sure would be nice though if I could let her have a bit of freedom while she's in here.

What a terrific girl she is. She sings! She doesn't peep, and doesn't cluck. She makes some sort of sweet little sound. We adore her.. just wish things were going better in the coop. Usually, she's last out, or even hangs out in there after everyone is outside (good, because she has SOME access to food and water). Today, for some reason, they PUSHED her out. She squawked a bit and was first down the ramp! It's rainy and cold out. Poor girl.

Any help is appreciated! Btw, she's a bantam, but I can size down whatever you have.

Meghan

I've used a sock for a diapered chicken. Perhaps doing a search here will get a result, if not email me and i'll send a pic of it. All it requires is cutting the cuff off a ankle sock, then cutting 2 holes for wings and 2 for the feet....the toe becomes the poop catcher!

Forgot to mention that the heal of the sock will settle over her breast...just to give u a visual idea of where to cut the holes for wings and toes.

Last edited:
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens has a pattern in it. I know a couple people who make chicken diapers, but I think they are takling a break right now.

Thanks guys!

Sorry.. you are right.. I should have done a search.. forgetful in my old age.

Terrielacy, I seem to remember a pattern for an apron... did I miss the diaper? Hmm.

Meghan

I made a pattern that worked really well, but I don't know how to put it in the computer and send it to you... I'll try to draw it in a photoshop program? And then email it to you?

chickendiaper.jpg

edited to add picture (at least TRY to add picture)

Last edited:
Aun <his> That would be terrific! Thanks!

Terrielacie: Don't feel bad.. I only know because I think I can recite pieces of it by heart (don't tell my dh.. he doesn't need to know how weird I REALLY AM!)

-Meghan

chickendiaper.jpg

Sorry it's such a rough drawing... I'm not that computer drawing talented.

Whip stitch from point A around to point B to make the poop pocket. Cut a slit on line C. Use a fabric that you don't have to hem and that doesn't fray. I used a pair of old support panties. ewww, I know, but it worked so well! A really stretchy fabric works best. So, you put a half of a pad in the poop pocket, then put the head through the slit, bring it under the chicken. Position the poop pocket under the tail and tie the two pieces together on top, above the tail. With some chickens, I make the ties longer, tie them together, then loop one of them up and under the neck slit, and tie it to itself. That's only if the chicken is good at wiggling so that the poop pocket moves to the side.

For size, just measure from the bottom of the throat, all the way under the chicken to the vent. add about 3 inches in length for the head hole. The poop pocket, before it is whip stiched, is about the size of a apple or small orange. Of course it's only a half circle. Then the ties are just above that. If you have any questions, please ask, it's hard to put words to how to make a pattern, and maybe I don't make sense!

edited to TRY to add picture

Last edited:
If you click on the thing under my 'handle' that says "e-mail" you can send it right to my in-box. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Thanks so much! She's doing better right now, and I haven't seen as much pecking/chasing, but she seems a bit traumatized so still is hiding up on the 2x4 framing in the henhouse and out in the run.

Poor thing. We LOVE Chicken Jane. ARG! I've told those girls time and again to be nice to her.

-Meghan

Back
Top Bottom