Green Mountain Organic vs. Poulin

dtimms

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2009
NJ
My chicks are 5 weeks old and I'm starting to think ahead for the next bag of feed. A friend starts her chickens on layer feed at 8 weeks. I'm not sure I can get grower feed, so when is the best time to switch over to layer? Or is grower too important to skip????

I wanted to go organic and was going to try the Green Mountain, but now I'm seeing lots of posts about the organic not being nutrionally as good. My non-organic option is Poulin, which is half the price for a 50# bag. With only 3 hens the price difference is not a huge issue, but hard not to take notice.

I don't feel like I know enough about the different ingredients to make an informed choice. I just want my hens to be healthy and happy and to enjoy eating their eggs!

Can somebody help???

Thanks, that does help with the grower question!!!

Anyone familiar with the Poulin vs. organic?

Just curious, why would someone think organic feed would be less nutritious?

I've done a lot of research and some sites say the mix of grains in some organics is not as good as some conventional feeds, that the protein and mineral contents may be less, etc. I can't get on Green Mountain's website to compare and I hoped maybe someone had some experience with how their chickens did on either of these feeds.

Poulin is not organic, but is more "natural" than some of the big companies, so I'm wondering if it's really worth paying twice as much to go organic. I want to support sustainable farming, but I also want to get the best feed for my girls. (My horses eat Poulin grain and look great, but I have no experience with Green Mountain at all.)

The organic feed I used for the first 4 months was labelled as starter/ grower crumbles. It was a local company out of the CA central valley, not Green Mountain. I am no help there. Sorry.

I only just recently switched to organic layer pellets from the same company when the first pullet started laying eggs. I understand that there is more calcium in most layer feeds and the higher calcium is not as good for the growing birds until they are close to laying, around 17 weeks. If all you want is what is the best for your birds, I would suggest you go with the Poulin. The eggs will still taste great as long as the hens have some access to foraging or greens and they will be healthy birds. You can always switch to organic when they start laying if you change you mind.

My birds are very healthy and have been raised on organic feed from the beginning and forage in the garden and yard. I would be skeptical of what source was claiming organic feed was less nutritious than conventional feed. Read the label before you buy at the feed store.

Does your family eat only organic breads and cereals? If not, why feed your birds better than your family? Spend your money on the stuff where organic really makes a difference for your family. The foods that retain the most pesticide residue are peaches, apples, peppers, potatoes, grapes, strawberries, lettuce, celery, or any thing you can't peel. If you are already buying these as organic and organic breads and cereals, then definately spend a little more for the organic feed.

Good luck with the decision.

Quote:
I imagine that would depend on which organic feed you were comparing to which conventional feed. Certainly, the manufacturer should provide you with the ingredients and nutritional analysis before purchase.

Quote:
You make a great point here... We try to choose locally grown produce as much as possible, even better if organic. Same with our eggs. But organic food is so much more expensive that we are not always able to choose organic breads, etc. Maybe we will start the Poulin at least until they are laying and then reassess-- great idea!

Thanks so much!!!

I use Green Mountain Organic Feeds, and love it. My girls get to free range for a few hours before roosting time, when the dog and I are home and can keep the foxes and coyotes away (lost my 2 lovely red sex-links and 1 white leghorn to a hungry critter - all they left were piles of feathers, and a trail of an occasional feather through the woods).
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

We eat mostly organic food, and are fortunate to live in a state where there is an abundance of locally grown really healthy food. The hens also get a lot of our fresh organic leftovers.

The organic pellets are the mainstay (along with people food leftovers and hot oatmeal/yogurt many mornings) in the winters, but in spring - summer - fall, they don't need nearly as much.

I buy my feed from a local hardware/farm store - not sure who distributes for them, or if they buy directly from Green Mountain. Here's Green Mountain's phone number:

Green Mountain Feeds
Bethel, VT 05032
802-234-6278

actually that is not entierly true about the things you cant "peel" bannannas even though they have a skin absorb the chemicals almost as much as peaches and other stuff.

I would go with the organic. You are gonna eat these eggs why not make them the best they can be
smile.png
I am a little bias sorry.

eta I forgot to say that I hav heard good things about green mountain and I use Natures Best with no issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom