How do you transport chickens?

1littlefarmer

Songster
14 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Hudson Valley, NY
So I'm picking up a few full grown chickens this week but I don't have a clue as to how to get them from the farm to my house. I've built a chicken tractor for quarantine time so I could load that into the back of my truck but I don't know if that would give them too much space (and no seat belts...). I don't have a dog crate, which would probably be best. Cardboard box with holes???

How much space do 4 chickens need for transport?

Thanks!

We sent a lady home with 4 chickens in a box, and later, a hen and 10 chicks in a box. As it was dark both times and she stuffed them in the trunk, we just didn't close the top of the box and the chickens stayed there. She drove them home about 20 miles and they all made it just fine, only to be eaten by coyotes or neighborhood dogs weeks later.
sad.png
But a box works fine!

Id only give them enough room to pack in a box snugly. A good shape is a box that say cases of paper come in.. one on the bottom, one tapped upside down on the top with holes. They'll be more comfortable packed in with standing room or sitting room only where they can't roll around.

Ok, Thanks! Sounds like a box it is! Will they do better in their own boxes (like the paper boxes), or can I put all 4 in one (like a box that's 2'x2', or 2'x3')?

I use those collapsible file boxes from Staples. You get like 4 for X amount of money. You can put 2 large fowl full grown birds in one or 3 smaller birds. I throw in some shavings and tape the top poop. Because they have holes for your handles, I find the ventilation is more than adequate. Plus, they are collapsible and reusable

I was going to suggest a pet carrier or a box or a large laundry basket. I would cover it with a sheet or blanket. Just some suggestions. I used my brooder which is wire.

DSC00571.jpg

Back
Top Bottom