Geese and Tomato Plants??

Ok, I was worried about that. My goose free ranges around (for the past 4 years)and has never bothered anyone's gardens. This morning a neighbor complained that she was in his garden ruining his tomatoes. I will have to figure out what I can do about it!!

Thank you!

Oh man, they will devour anything you are trying to grow! Mine eat everything that means something to me or that I worked really hard on... the stuff I don't particularly car about, they don't touch. If you want to grow tomato's try one of those Topsy Turvy things... the tomato plant hangs and grows upside down.

I thought about having her in the backyard with my ducks, BUT she flies! She has always free ranged since she was a baby, so I am not sure how she wold take to that. We did try a few times, just for my own piece of mind, but she flew out whenever she wanted. Hmmm...

My ducks ate 2 tomato plants down to a few leaves. I was able to save them though. I also caught my welsh harlequin Shelley trying to snag some green grape tomatoes.

The ducks also polished off a basil plant.

Needless to say, I have invested in some poultry wire..LOL

I had 12 African geese I loved them but could not live with them. They were into everything. Tore up every vegetable, would swim in the water trough and crap all over everything ...so much for free ranging. After a year I got rid of them ...never again. YES they will eat yout tomatoes and more!!

My garden isn't a problem, it is fenced in because my chickens and ducks free range in the yard. I have never seen her go down t o his garden, but there is only one around here that looks like her, all the rest are Canada geese and he couldn't have gotten her mixed up with them!

This is the same neighbor that ran out and bought his won geese because he loved mine so much. His got eaten by a fox when they were young so since then, he and his daughter get out the goose call and call her over there to see her. Now that she is over and in his garden, he doesn't want her there! For 4 years now he has lived there, we have lived here and Gretchy had roamed about from day 1. He planted carrots in his garden for my horses and he feeds them when he is out there.

Back
Top Bottom