Pregnant Hamster Question

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
We found a hamster in our apartment. That's right...FOUND her.

We took her to PetSmart to see if she was a girl or a boy. Wound up she was a female and that she was NOT purchased at that PetSmart. They only have male mammals there.

She didn't appear to be pregnant. Within one week though she is starting to get fatter (possible she's just overeating), is "landscaping" her cage, which in my opinion is normal. Then there's the fact that she is biting!!!! She was so sweet to begin with...now almost a week later she has turned into demon-hamster.

Anyone have any personal experience with a pregnant dwarf hamster? We have not seen a male in here, but we didn't even know she was in here and still have no idea how it got in here. BUT someone else reported to the main office that they found a hamster in their apartment too.

I used to have dwarf hamsters, and they all bite lol. How were you able to catch her, dwarf hammies are fast. I have only had male hamsters, but I'm sure someone else has owned a female hamster. good luck.

She was in the middle of the kitchen then ran underneath the dryer. We got a broom to "shove" her out of the dryer and threw a strainer over top of her when she came out!
big_smile.png

We put a paper plate underneath the strainer and put her into an unused bird cage!
big_smile.png

We took her out, handled her and she was all nice and happy for the first week. Now she's just cranky as heck.

As for the "only males at Petsmart" thing....we bought 2 "male" gerbils from a Pet"smart" in Medford, Oregon....A few weeks later we ended up with a total of 8 - yes, 6 BABIES:barnie! That certainly was NOT the plan when we bought our 2 "MALE" gerbils!
As for dealing with baby dwarf hamsters, I'd just be sure she has nice clean bedding - maybe offer her a 100% cotton piece of a t-shirt for nesting material and be sure she has plenty of clean water and good food. I'm pretty sure she'll know how to do the rest! Don't be too shocked if they all don't make it. The mom gerbil "dispatched" 2 of her offspring, but the other 4 were ok. They know if the babies will survive or not, and if she's not a good mom, you're probably better off. Good luck!

If she does have babies, I would be careful touching her, they hurt so bad when they bite. My friends petstore has them, but I won't touch them if there are babies in the cage. Also you want to make sure that the babies can not escape the cage, if she does have babies.

She could just be gaining weight, was she really skinny when you first found her.

Last edited:
We ended up with a momma dwarf hamster and her 5 babies at the animal shelter after a family purchased her from Petco, not knowing she was pregnant. She and the babies were VERY skittish and hyperactive. They never bit me but they nibbled on my fingers, nails, etc all the time.

Somebody in your building must have hamsters that are able to escape their enclosure. They are tiny and can squeeze through incredibly tight spaces. She was likely already pregnant when you found her. I forget how long the gestation period is. If you keep her make sure you sex and separate those babies on time! They can be impregnated at something like 4 weeks old!

You couldn't sex a hamster? Believe me, the boys are noticable. lol

They usually have their babies fine. They grow pretty fast and are very hardy......they are like rabbits....reproduce, reproduce, etc.....

They are funny and cute - We have been there and done that and I am glad we are rid of all of ours.....Gestation is less than chicken gestation...like 18 days I thinK???.....?

Have fun....make sure it isn't some little kids pet that escaped and they miss though before you claim it. Some folks will turn them loose on purpose though. Good Luck and we will wait on pics -

We asked everyone in the building and surrounding buildings. Nobody had an escapee. Also notified the manager's office to let them know and ask if anyone reported one missing. Nobody lost one.

All I can guess is that it was here when the past tenants moved out or maybe it came in through the front door?

How long have you lived there? Do you have a common hallway? Someone who didn't want them anymore could have just dumped them or someone could have ditched them there as a prank, even. It's a mystery! If you find out where these little guys are coming from please update us, I'm so curious!

Back
Top Bottom