What would happen if you let your ducks go out in the wild?

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
Well, as I have posted recently in the past two weeks we now have these two ducks. My hubby didn't want to keep them in the first place and I was ok with just watching them for a while. Now since the original owner has said "nope they're not my ducks anymore" we are debating on what to do with them. I am all for keeping them.
love.gif
I finaly have them running to eat there treats out of our hands. I have told him that the eggs are going to be very good and we will probably like them hopeing at least one is a female.
fl.gif
He was suggesting letting them go in a large pond. This pond actualy is the size of a small lake and it is 30 miles away from us. I am trying to come up with some good evidence that would prove this isn't a good idea.

If we let them go will they try to find there way back? Will they ever be happy somewhere else? Will that instinct that wild ducks have ever kick in? Anyone have some good info on this kind of thing?

I know that they can fall prey to aquatic turtles, coyotes, bobcats, hunters, ect.

Last edited:
In a lot of places, dumping domestic ducks on ponds or in the wild is strictly prohibited, even illeagle. Its also irresponsible in my opinion. The ducks are used to human contact, and they won't be afraid if predators and evil kids with sticks and rocks. If you can't keep them, give them to someone who can.

I think taking a domestic animal and releasing it is cruel. They do not have the instincts a wild duck would have. If the lake has turtles in it, you are providing the turtles with a nice easy meal. The ducks are accustomed to being fed by you, being safe at night and so forth. The liklihood of the surviving in the wild is slim to none.

You will love the duck eggs, they taste even better than chicken eggs in my opinion. They are richer, less fat, more protein and are great for baking.

If he insists on gettign rid of them, contact a wildlife rehabber or a duck rescue who will be able to properly care for the ducks.

Its wrong to just dump a domestic animal into the wild! Cant you just find them another home?

It is never a good idea to let domestic animals or livestock "go" into the wild. For starters, the environmental impact is unknown & could be devastating to local wild flocks of ducks. You could advertise in your newspaper to give them away to someone who may really want them (maybe a 4-H'er); or even on this web site - there are plenty of people on this forum who may be interested!

If you release the ducks, they will probably be dead within 24 hours. They cannot fly to escape predators, and will have a hard time finding their own food because they are used to being provided for.

Sell or give the ducks away if you don't want them anymore.

I agree with smartie pants.. if you cannot find somebody who wants them, send them to freezer camp..

they absolutely will not survive in the wild.. there is probably .o1% chance they would..

I have other thoughts on this subject, but I withold them for now..

I was given this link to photos of released ducks when I wanted to convince a certain person not to release hers. A picture is worth a thousand words. I caution you, though, these photos are extremely graphic and disturbing. If you don't have the stomach for such stuff, please don't look. I'll just copy and paste what was typed in my thread.

Quote:

It's all already been said, but I wanted to just chime in that I agree with everyone here. Domestic ducks are bred for certain characteristics that are convenient to their human companions. They are NOT bred for survival in the wild. Most cannot fly effectively, few have any fear of predators, and any duck that is eating out of your hand will be easy prey for hunters and/or cruel kids.

Nature is cruel. If you don't want them, it would be kinder to give them a swift and sudden death and then eat them. Of course, keeping them or finding them a home are even kinder options.
smile.png

Hopefully, you've gotten enough here to convince your husband.
smile.png
Good luck!

P.S. I looked at those flickr photos--they are really compelling. Those poor ducks.
sad.png

Quote:

OMG!!!!! To think these poor creatures were bread to be pets. This breaks my heart.... everyone who is considering releasing animals should have to go to this post first. As I am replying, tears of rage and pity are streaming down my face.

Back
Top Bottom