Should i worry if my chickens are eating worms?

bob505

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
I sometime let my chickens run free for an hour at a time and i watch them but i think they are eating and always looking for worms. I recently read a thing talking about diseases from eating earthworms and stuff and ever since then i am worried.

Sorry if wrong section.

I read in one of threehorses posts that chickens could get worms from eating worms. But how would you stop a chicken from finding and eating worms? Maybe you could just let them be, and keep them on a good worming schedule.

This would be the right section for your question. And, i've read from some folks here that chickens can get worms from eating earthworms. i personally don't know if that's true or not. But i'm sure all kinds of stuff gives them worms, so it is near impossible to avoid that. Just get on a good worming schedule and let them enjoy finding and eating those worms.

Not letting your chickens eat earthworms is just cruel
wink.png

We get worms in the compost heap and my girls love love love them

A lady from MPC told me that eating worms are fine, intestinal parasite worms are different. The eggs are inhaled but that adding some DE to their feed will kill the worms in the intestinal tract.

CAl
JAX FL

Quote:
Well, so much for advice from MPC.

Yes, intestinal parasite worms are different from earthworms. But earthworms are sometimes carriers of one or some of the intestinal parasite types, particularly gapeworm.

Most parasitic worms are eaten. Don't know about inhaling them. Some can migrate to the chicken's lungs from the gut.

DE may help control a worm infestation, or not, I don't think it has been proven. But it will not cure them if they are infested; they will need to be wormed.

If you don't have a routine worming program, the chickens' intestines will get more and more scarred from the worms, making it harder to get nourishment from their food. In addition, you will be feeding the intestinal worms along with the chicken.

I'm not saying you should try to stop your chickens from eating earthworms. If they lead anything like a normal chicken existence, you won't be able to. This is just one of the reasons they need a good worming program.

On the other hand, there are several reasons why chickens should not have access to compost. And I am not going to buy earthworms and feed them to chickens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom