How to Sedate before Euthanizing?

laurelsh

Chirping
14 Years
May 17, 2007
Dear Chicken folks,

After researching the forum, I have successfully
sad.png
put down a suffering hen, by using the carbon monoxide from my vehicle. However, I think it would have been much better if I could have sedated her prior.

For future reference (hopefully will never need it), how could one sedate a chicken prior to the euthanasia?

Thanks,
Laurel

Thanks. I had read about the peroxide & baking soda, and one person said that it took a long time, and they would not do that again. I don't know, maybe the vinegar & baking soda works better? Any more opinions on how to anesthetize before euthanasia, or as part of euthanasia?

Laurel

The vinegar and baking soda works best on small baby chicks as opposed to an adult hen, it takes too long is right, ether would be a possibility. I haven't had alot of experience culling I usually leave that up to DH and fortunately only had to do it to baby chicks and only a few times.

Wouldnt the quickest way to put a bird down is to shoot it? Have the husband go out and make it quick...a flash. Making them breath in toxic fumes is not very humane. Anything quick...and a no touch way would be to take them away from the others and a quick shot. ?? I havent been put in that position yet.
sad.png

If one has a gun, and a husband around at the time, sure. We only have a beebee gun, and hubbie was out of town at the time needed. So alternate methods are being requested. The vet wanted $35 to put down a hen.
Thanks, Laurel

I hate to say this, but the most humane way of culling would be to take your index finger and thumb, gasping tightly around the back of the skull and throat, holding firmly the hens body, and with a quick yank, its all done.
Some folks use their foot while holding and pulling upwards by the feet.
The first way is what the folks at the diagnostic lab for the State tells how to do, it is the quickest way for you and the bird.
Also, "sticking" is another quick way, although I have not been able to do that. I guess that pushing a knife or all through from the back of the throat to towards the ears, through to the skull and there is absolutely no nerve shaking, they are just gone.
Good luck, none of this is easy when its a layer, worse when its a chick.

Do you know any "hard-core horse people"? They usually have drugs on hand. Xylaxine, acepromaxine, valium, butorphanol--all these can be used on birds, the dosages are just different--you can look them up online.

Last edited:
How did the carbon monoxide method work for you? Did she simply fall asleep with no wing flapping? (I'm faced with putting a hen down right now)

I don't see why anyone thinks this method would be cruel. Carbon monoxide is odorless, the reason for carbon monoxide alarms in people's houses. Reports of families dying in their sleep while using a charcoal bar-b-que for heat, etc.

I wouldn't use this method if you plan on eating the bird.

The gassing and sedation methods, IMO, are more so for the owners feelings...it isn't more of a humane and isntant kill. The animals are disoriented, confused, and slowly die.....The most humane is to chop or cut their heads off....I know this is hard to do for some people but it really is the quickest and most painless death......JMO

Back
Top Bottom