Limping goose

2dancingrats

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Bay City, Michigan
He was fine earlier this evening and I was outside with them the whole time. Suddenly Randy started limping dramatically and is holding his leg up when he's still. Is there anything I should do? It looks to be painful and he's very quiet. (Toulouse gander about 4 months old).

If you already haven't looked, check the bottom pad of his foot and see if he has something lodged in it or if it is abraded.
He also may have sprained the foot/leg and is keeping still due to the discomfort.

My two geese and two ducks live in a horse stall at night (no we don't have any horses). I could corral him in there and pick him up but I would have to get him separated from the other birds because they are extremely protective of each other. He is pretty docile as far as geese go, but I know this will frighten him.
If it is a sprain, how will I know? Is there anything I can do to make him feel better?

If it is a sprain, how will I know? Is there anything I can do to make him feel better?

Geese do make a lot of "noise" when you try to catch them, but usually once they are caught and restrained, they become less agitated and become more calm.

If there is nothing visibly wrong with the bottom pad, you might want to assume it's a sprain with the leg.
Since you have a horse stall, could you put him and his mate (if he has one) in there for a few days of rest. That's pretty much all you can do for a sprain.
When you examine the leg, try to move it and see if it is moving and attached as it should be. Seriously doubt it is broken, but better to be safe.

Good luck to you and your goose.​

my young african gander has the same thing wrong with it. Im going to try to check the bottom of its feet and then if thats not it I dont know what I can do... Does any one know?

After resting all day today, his limp is almost gone. I didn't check his foot, but think he may have stepped on something.
Thank you again for your good advise.

I have a 6 month old white Chinese gander who is limping, but his middle toe on his left foot is swollen. Any ideas? There does not appear to be a wound. Is it possible it is broken or sprained, he squabbles with another gander over the pool rights frequently.

Back
Top Bottom