Organic chicken feed, Lebanon, Indiana (Laf./Attica/Crawfdsville too)

exop

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 10, 2009
NW Indiana
Hi all.

I live near Lafayette, Indiana and have been feeding my chickens organically, using feeds sold by Central Indiana Organics in Lebanon. They have a range of feeds for different life stages - layer, chick starter 0-2 weeks, chick starter 2-5 weeks, broiler finisher, turkey starter grower - and I've been happy with my results, nice healthy chickens. The company uses locally grown grains and soy, with Helfter premixes. The feed is in 50 Lb bags and sells for $19 before tax for layer feed, and $19.50 for the chick starters. They also have organic scratch grains.

Prices have dropped as of Spring 2010!

Here's the price list as of April 2010, per 50Lb bag:

Organic layer mash, 18% protein, $19 (was $22)
Organic turkey starter, 26% protein, approximately $19 - $20 (price not in system yet)
Organic broiler starter 0-2 weeks, 21 % protein, $19.50 (was $23)
Organic broiler grower 2-5 weeks, 19 % protein, $19.50 (was $22)
Organic broiler / turkey grower, 20 % protein, $19.50
Organic broiler finisher, 18% protein, $19 (was $22)
Mashes are made up of organic wheat, oats, corn and roasted soy plus an all-organic vitamin / mineral / protein / probiotic supplement.

Organic oats (hulls on), $10
Organic soft red winter wheat, no hulls, $9 (was $15)
Organic corn, whole kernel or cracked corn, $8.50 (was $12.70)
Organic scratch grains, mix of equal parts by weight of cracked corn, oats and wheat, 9% protein. Was $12.99, probably cheaper now, sorry, I forgot to ask.
Organic roasted soybeans, $50

Celatom brand diatomite (DE), 50Lb / $30
Certified organic feed grade fish meal, 50Lb / approx. $55

Organic rye is available by special order at 56Lb / $19.75 with a week's notice.
So is custom mixed organic pig feed, in 500Lb lots
smile.png
Price dependent on whether you want it to be corn + soy based, or corn + soy + oats based.

Indiana sales tax: 7%.

Central Indiana Organics' phone: 765-482-4120.

Not as cheap as conventional feeds, but for organics, a pretty good deal.

I don't think the company is doing enough to promote itself. I wanted to put the contact info out there for those of you fellow Hoosiers
smile.png
who might be looking for hassle free, ready mixed organic feed which has not been shipped half way across the country.

Central Indiana Organics facility is 4 miles drive off I-65 exit 138:

If you're on the southbound side of the highway, it's easy: take the exit, then just go straight onto the little road (Indianapolis Rd) right opposite the exit, it goes south running alongside 65. If you're driving north on 65, take exit 138 and then turn left to go over the bridge to the other side of the highway (Hall Baker Rd). Indianapolis road is your first left turn once you've crossed the highway.

Drive south for a little ways on Indianapolis road then hang a right onto 200 E, just where you see a small, brilliant blue colored house. The grain elevator is about 3 miles on. On one side of the road is a ramshackle grain elevator marked Kern, Kertley and Herr, and on the opposite side of the road are several small warehouses and a feed store. This is where Central Indiana Organics has their HQ. They're open weekdays 9 - 6, Saturdays 9 - 2.

They've been going for several years, but to my knowledge have only been selling their product locally in the Lebanon area. I only found out about them after talking to some Darlingtonites who drive up each week to the farmer's market in West Lafayette.

If anyone out there is from Lafayette or Warren, Fountain or Tippecanoe counties and would like to try this stuff, let me know. I drive down to Lebanon regularly to pick up feed, and would be happy to buy a few bags for you, and deliver them to you on my return trip, gratis: just pay me whatever I paid the feed store. If you want to throw in a couple bucks extra to help with gas, that would be super.

Best - exop

Last edited:
Quote:
I would be thrilled to find it for $22 for 50#.

That is cheaper than the 50# bags I get from the closest source to me here in Southern California. Goshen, CA has the closest mill I have found to Los Angeles County. Around here, the different feed stores sell organic grower chicken feed or organic layer chicken feed for about $25 to $29 for a 50# bag. Not all of the organic feed that the stores sell even comes from California. One feed store sells an organic feed milled out of the mid west by Organic Pride (owned by Purina?)

I thought I'd check in here because I'm just about to go on another expedition to Lebanon... I hoped someone local would have responded. Sigh. There must be some other Tippecanoe or Warren county BYC'ers who are trying to go organic. How to reach them, I wonder.

Hey, if anyone reads this thread and makes their own trip to Central Indiana Organics, I'd love to hear about it! :)

Best - exop

I'm making a trip down to Lebanon on Saturday, Sept. 26. If anyone wants feed, let me know! :)

I've found out that this place also carries organic certified fish meal, 50 Lb / approx. $50, and food grade diatomaceous earth in big bags (I think it was either 30 or 50 Lb size - I'll check).

Best - exop

Thanks for the info. Thats not a extreamly long way. 2.5 hours but I think it's the clostest thing. I'm coming from DeKalb county. It might be worth the trip once every couple of months to by feed.

exop, thank you for the info on the organic feed in Lebanon! I live up here in Valparaiso and will be heading south on I65 next week to pick up two new pullets. My very first chickens! Woo Hoo! I will definitely be stopping in Lebanon to buy a couple bags. I believe in organics.

Hi all, just a note, the last time I was at the elevator I got a real price list for all the organic feeds and grains. I've added it to the first post in this thread, and will try to keep those prices up-to-date if anything changes,

Best wishes, exop

hey **GardeNerd ** im in more southern cali than you (san diego) and i have been getting the organic pride for first 17.00 (just 3 months ago) then 21.00 and now 24.00.. I can also get the Goshen one and it's 17% instead of 16 and 23.00. Have any input on which you would prefer and why?????????? ok if not, i wont be ready for a few weeks to buy again, just preparing
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom