When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

pop.gif

I have six that are 25 weeks old and three are laying and three are not. All hatched together & all are the friendliest birds you could ever ask for. I am patiently waiting
fl.gif
fl.gif

Now I Have To Mention That I Asked This Question Myself Becuase I Too Have Buff Orps. I Was Told About 20 Weeks. Should I Be Planning On Them Laying Later Than That Then?

I have 7 buff comets. They are the least friendly of the four breeds I have. Others are BA. RIR, BR. (The Barred Rocks are the friendliest.) I was told by an experienced poultry raiser that I could expect the buff comets to lay before the others. He thought it would be 22 weeks at the earliest for them.

I have 9 Buffs and only one is laying she was about 18-19 weeks when she started.But none of the others have even started the egg song or squat she was laying one every other day when she started but now she is laying one egg every day!!! YAY! just wish my others would start now, but have feeling it will still be a while.

Last edited:
I raise only Buff Orpingtons.

IME I have had them lay from 20-23 weeks. My current flock, two girls started at 20 weeks exactly, and 3 are not laying yet at 22 weeks.

I've never had them start later than 23 weeks though.

Right from the start they are always beautiful strong brown eggs, and always consistant once they start. (Not starting/stopping as some other breeds.)

Look for bright red combs and wattles. This is a sure sign POL is imminate.

It is so hard waiting for that first egg! And it never ceases to be sooooooooooo exciting when it happens!
wee.gif

Ma

Back
Top Bottom