How do you prep your pumpkin seeds for your chickens?

Country Heart

City Girl With A
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
San Jose, California
I understand that chickens like pumpkin seeds and that they are even good for them. What I don't know is...are they best prepared some way (baked, boiled, etc.) or do you just provide them to them raw?

How do your chickens like their pumpkin seeds?
hu.gif

cut the pumpkin into chunks and toss em into the pen or yard.
big_smile.png
wink.png
I plan on going to stores and market stands and asking to have any pumpkins they have left right after halloween.

Yum Yum!

Last edited:
its a great natural wormer. I just slice them into 1/4 or 1/8ths and let them hav at it they will eat the flesh too
smile.png
Sometimes I sprinkle them with DE and when doing my official worming I withhold feed for day then give them just a bunch of seeds mixed with DE and buttermilk and then resume normal feeding the next day. I grow pumpkins just for this reason, although this years harvest has been terrible.

I cut it into chunks, some folks just put a whole pumpkin out and let the chickens have at it.

Well, I wasn't sure about the seeds either, so I just scooped some out "raw" and tossed them in there. My little girls are just 6 wks, so they didn't really know what to do with them (or the pieces of pumpkin I put in there). They sampled a few, and enjoyed investigating, but they didn't act like pumpkin was the next best thing to sliced bread...lol.
smile.png

I throw the punkin into the run hard enough to bust it open. Finished-done-chickens handle the rest.

Back
Top Bottom