Delaware New Castle County "no Luck Yet"

Jonathanq1

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Delaware
Backyard chickens are still illegal in New Castle County -- for now.

County Council voted 10-3 on Tuesday against a law that would allow keeping as many as six chickens on residential lots of a half-acre to one acre. Council wants to keep intact the county's property maintenance code which prohibits farm animals on residentially zoned lots of less than an acre. The new law would have made an exception for chickens.

The vote capped months of debate raised by Hockessin resident Kathleen Hildebrand, who appealed for a change in the law so she could keep a backyard flock as part of her commitment to a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. Hildebrand wants the fresh, chemical-free eggs her hens provide.

Proponents said allowing backyard chickens would give residents a chance to participate in urban farming, a movement to help city dwellers and suburbanites grow their own food to ensure its healthfulness, live greener and cope with the recession. But opponents said the proposal would put a burden on neighborhoods, especially those with deed restrictions against farm animals.

New Castle County wont allow chickens but they wont do anything about stray animals in neighborhoods. Go figure.
The reason they wont allow chickens being do to deed restricted communities is BULL. Deed restrictions are a contract between neighbors and most of them have been broken any how which makes none of them enforceable. They have nothing to do with the county who also can not enforce them

Reading this just really disappointed me!

I'm currently in the process looking to buy my first house. I plan on moving to the southern New Castle County area (Townsend, Blackbird, Smryna). I had planned on trying to make my property sustainable, gardening, chicken, bees and pygmy goats being paramount to this.

Now if I buy a home with more than 1 acre of land can I legally keep chickens in my backyard or will my land have to be zoned farm? I've looked into it and I can't seem to find a clear answer, thanks!

(I currently live in Bellefonte and it really sucks you can't even keep 6 hens!!!)

Back
Top Bottom