Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics

RAREROO

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Alapaha, Ga
Please post pics of your phoenix, any color, standard or bantam and tell what you like or dislike about them, thanks.

Last edited:
IMG_1440.jpg

Here's our bantam whites, some of them at least. They were just babies here, just a few months old.
If it werent for all the rain breaking their tails off, they'd be pushing 4 foot already at oh 9 months or so.

IMG_1445.jpg

Love everything about them, the long flowing tails and converts, gentle nature, just gorgeous stature, and not a loud bird either

OMG Aubrey, 4 ft. tails? That's awesome. You've got to get me some updated pics of them. I hope to get some from you some time this coming year, and I'd keep them out of the rain to see if I can get the long tailfeathers too. Do you have pics of the golden hens that you said you had, and are you going to breed them to the silvers until you get a roo for them?

Last edited:
well, they are out of the actual rain, it's the mud afterwards that is getting them, that and the others stepping on them as they drag the ground. I would love to put one in a tomebako style enclosure, just to see how long they'd really get.Right now, the converts on both males are dragging the ground already.
As for the goldens, yep, I have two white(silver) roos, so will put one over the 2 white and 2 silver hens, and the other over the 2 goldens,just to see what happens there, til I fine a good gold roo

So are your whites, sports from the silvers or what do you mean by two white(silver) roos? Will you hatch more silvers from that cross?

That's what the 2 different breeders said that I got them from. They said that the white is actually masking the silver, genetically they are still silver duckwings, so, they say they will produce both colors. The white do on occasion have tiny traces of black in some of their feathering. Just got the first eggs so we'll see soon
Aubrey

Yeap, I wasnt sure if I wanted any at first, then I broke down and got these this year, and now I'm a phoenix addict, want more colors!!!

Thanks for the comment also, we should have a few to part with this spring too by the way

Last edited:
love.gif
I don't want any LF Phoenix, but I think it would be cool to have some bantams, I did not know there was any until now
smile.png
could someone tell me a little hore about them? are they bred down or crossed? and where would I find some?

is it true that the long tailed breeds spend more time on roost then other chickens? are there other long tailed bantams?

lol I feel like a little kid

pop.gif

yep,
I am bantam man all the way too.
Yes the are bantam sumatras, I have them in black and blue too, also pretty sure there are bantam yokos and cubalayas.
They mainly were bred down, also honestly there has been tons of work done on them in crosses as well, so the best thing would be to do some reaserch with your breeders and find out what they have mine are the American phoenix, there are also the nonmolting lines of onagadori as well.
They dont really perch more that I have seen. Where that comes from probley, is the fact that to get the massive tails, it's best to keep solitary male in pens called Tomebako's. These are up right boxes with a perch in the top. The tail is free to hang down to the ground and not be trampled on by other birds, get muddy from rain, etc etc all the stuff that would other wise break the feathers.
Also, diet plays a large role on how long the tails get too, and a male kept away from females, will not molt as often either. Hens trigger a hormone reaction that will cause them to go into molt.
This is just if you want to grow the most massive tails possible. I just enjoy them, and keep them like all my other bantams, and a 3 foot tail and converts dragging the ground is fairly common.
I should have a few eggs or chicks available this year, jsut waiting to see what colors, mine are going to produce before I tell anybody anything. I also know several excellent breeders, but they are proud of them, nonmoulting lines run from $50-$100 per dozen on eggs, american phoenix are in the $40-$60 range per dozen but are from the best breeders in the country too.

Back
Top Bottom