Can I let pigeons loft with my chickens?

safarichick101

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
College Station TX
First off.. My coop is SURROUNDED by massive post oaks. So its very shady. I was wondering if I could get a pair of pigeons and let them share the coop with my chickens. Of course I would get them seperate nest box(es) that are chicken proof as well as seperate perches that are too high for chickens.

Yep
smile.png

You can do it.

If you keep your pigeons penned I would say it's OK... but if it were me and the pigeons are allowed to mingle with outside birds, then I would keep them separate.

Whoa...wait a minute...you can have pigeons AND chickens together?! I really need to get away from BYC. My hubby is going to divorce me if I tell him one more thing that I want to raise.

Seriously though....I currently have 7 chickens. Their new coop will be 8x10 with a 6 foot ceiling and loft above that. Could I have a couple of pigeons in there too?

Yep, you should be fine
smile.png
As long as there's plenty of perch space. May also be a good idea to put the feed in a few different places when it's chow time, so none of the chickens get greedy and peck at the pigeons try to eat.

Yay for another multiple bird syndrome convert! lol

For the 2 modena pigeons I have, I have this platform up high on the wall of the chicken house for them. A chicken can get to it if they really want to, but they pretty much leave it alone up where it is. You can see the top of it in this pic, but it has the top level, and then a level below it where they can nest. On top, I sit a chick feeder trough with their own feed so they can have it to themselves.

MVC-013S-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom