At what age can I kill my roosters for the pot?

chayla

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
I have five new little chickens and I don't know how to tell the difference from a male or hen. I should imagine that there will be a couple that are roosters and as we are trying to be self sufficence, will have to kill them for the pot. We had a beautiful rooster a couple of years ago and by time my husband killed it (with a gun, mind you), he was far to old.... but he was so beautiful.... *sigh*..
I would appriciate any help with this...
Thank you : )

I usually cull mine when they first start to crow. Every time I've let them live a while longer, they ended up being inedible... dark, stringy, and tough. Once those male hormones kick in, it causes changes in the texture of the meat.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

i just killed 1 one month shy of being a year old, plenty big but was tough, even after brining in the fridge, i would say 6 months would be prime if it was anything but a cornish x

They are just X's I think. Rooster is a white sussex .... maybe and mum could be the white sussex and maybe the brown 'hatchery' ones. Who knows...: ) Yes.. I know just what you mean, as that's what he was like. : )

if its a cornish x at 8 weeks but you said a white sussex, i would butcher as soon as he hit a weight you were happy with, which could take 3 months

I'm not sure if that's what he is, but I'll go with the three months as no matter what they are, they should be tender at that age.... right? : ) Ohhh... yes... and maybe not wait for my 'big softy' of a husband to do the 'deed'. hehehe

Chayla, you might want to do a forum search on how to cook older birds. There are LOTS of us on here who cook older roosters and hens all the time. The male hormones DO NOT ruin the meat, but you can't cook an older bird (especially when they are dual purpose or heritage breeds) the same way you'd cook a 6 week or 8 week old broiler such as a Cornish X.

Most of the bad results people get with older birds are due to incorrect cooking methods.

Just remember, the crock pot is your friend. They all get tender eventually, in the crock pot. Brining overnight helps with the 'stringy' factor, though if you take the meat off the bones and chop it, to use in tacos, tamales, BBQ sandwiches, etc., you'll never notice any stringiness.

Quote:
Do you mean Cornish X's, or do you mean cross-breeds? If Cornish X's, you should butcher them anywhere from 6-10 weeks, earlier for fryers, later for big roasters.

If you mean cross breeds, see my earlier post.

Good luck, they both make good eating, you just need to use appropriate methods for the type and age of the birds.

Ahhhh.... I've just bought a 'solar oven'.. which means that it will take all day to cook a chook. Sounds like the perfect way to go. Thanks for those suggestions.... but... what brining... must be an americian term. : )

Brining is soaking the bird in a salt-water solution - the meat absorbs the fluid and gets more moist, plus takes up some of the salt for flavor. I've never tried it but I've heard . . .

Back
Top Bottom