When is a pullet a laying hen at what age.

Deborah McMullen

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
I would love to know how long we have to wait to find out if we have laying hens what is a pullet?
47357_100_2005.jpg

These are my new editions and I really have no idea how old these pullets are. I believe I am feeding them better than we eat ourselves including laying pellets so how do we wait to find out if they are going to lay eggs.
Thanks Deb

Last edited:
Quote:
Most chickens lay between 18-22 weeks, but it depends on the breed and what time of year, and the difference between pullet and hen is a pullet is under a year that is laying a hen is over a year

a pullet is a young female, similar to the term filly or heifer

a hen is a year old female, similar to the term mare or cow

I call my adult pullets "hens" now even though they are only 40 weeks old (will be a year old in April) coz the 15-16 week olds are the "pullets" in the yard right now. It just differentiates their ages.

is the speckled one laying because it looks like from the pic you have a roo? how old? do you know how to do the finger test for laying

Last edited:
Quote:
No eggs we have only had these chickens for a short time the speckle one was bigger than the black one the black one did not even have any giblets we really don't know much about chickens we just bought them at an auction for the first time as pullets hoping we will get eggs how do you do the finger test.

I'm afraid you might have two roos. At first glance the black one looks like a pullet, but I think I might see some pointed saddle feathers, meaning it's a roo.

the finger test, you do not put your finger in the bird.

find the pubic bones, just above the vent on both sides, how many fingers can you get between the bones, one finger not a layer, 2 fingers just starting or not a good layer, 3 fingers laying; a good layer, also look at your chickens vent, small and tight not laying, the wider, softer and bigger the better the layer

Quote:
Ok looks like they may not be my pets after all lets wait and see otherwise there going to the neighbours place we only wanted some fresh eggs I hope you are wrong at least on one of them....

Quote:
Your Funny Ok do you think I am going to catch those birds and play with them I don't know about that they are getting a bit big. What vents where do we look have you got a picture...this is really very funny...

Back
Top Bottom