True Ameraucana: How many wks old to lay eggs?

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Do any of you have true ameraucanas and can tell me about how old they were when they started laying? Mine is 22 weeks and I want to know when I can start hoping for a blue egg!

Ameraucana's take a long time to start laying...30 weeks PLUS sometimes. If they lay before 28-30 weeks your doing good
big_smile.png
Hope they lay a pretty blue egg for you! Share pics and let us know when they start laying.

Mine are 25 weeks and 2 of the 3 just started laying. The girls are still pretty small and their eggs are small too, but in the first week I got 6 eggs! I had heard that if they reach laying age in the fall, they may not start until spring, so I wasn't hopeful about getting any blue eggs this year.

I bought some true Ameraucanas from Cloverleaf Farm in Canby, Oregon; they're 22-weeks old now and not even close to laying. Even my Easter Eggers have all laid late with 26-weeks being the earliest and 32-weeks the latest. (It was a lovely surprise to discover that two of my EE's lay beautiful sky-blue eggs; the rest lay various shades of blue-green).

I have two Ameraucanas that began laying at about 24 weeks. They laid beautiful blue eggs until about a month ago when the days got shorter and they have both stopped laying. I added some light in my coop about a week ago and hope they will start laying again--no eggs yet tho.

I have 2 that were hatched xMay 24th and got the first egg from one of them yesterday. It has a paper thin shell that indented when I picked it up, and was not green...yet. Michael

100816_pa301555.jpg

Back
Top Bottom