building a rabbit hutch

dntd

Songster
10 Years
Dec 4, 2009
This weekend I'm building my rabbit hutch it'll be 8x4 with a secion for the male and the females( 3 adults at the most!) may share the same side if no issues though adding a devider should be easy. If I use chicken wire but use something on top like cardboard or a piece of removable would do you think that would work looking for easy to clean ideas,also just want a big enough cage so tec I won't need much of a run as my chicken run is going to be 3/4 larger then I expected;)

Quote:
I would suggest building something where each rabbit will have its own cage. because females will fight with each other once they mature. so if you are going to biuld somethingt hat size divide it up into three pens. One for the buck. Two for the does. If you are breeding them, you will also want a couple of extra cages to keep the babies in. Also make sure you use heavy duty rabbit cage wire, and there is some dividers between each cage. Because they will chew through, and try to fight with each other through the cage wire. that type of setup you are asking about wouldn't be ideal. they will make short work of the wire and get out. They will also eat cardboard. It can block their intestines up pretty bad.

If you are interested in building your own hutch, i would suggest something like this.

http://www.rabbitweb.net/hutchsystem.asp

Last edited:
One of my rabbit hutches is really long and the builder left two spaces where a board can be slid in to seperate it into three cages when needed.

This is one of my outdoor setups. It has 10 holes, cost about $250 to build, and is a meat rabbit factory.
19063_000_3513.jpg
mg]
19063_000_3511.jpg
g]
19063_000_3512.jpg

Use heavy duty wire - I use wire from www.klubertanz.com. I use 1/2x1" on the bottom and 1x2" on the sides and top. The heavier the wire, the easier it is on their feet and reduces sore legs and the heavier wire keeps out predators.

Quote:
Everytime I see this i am filled with jealousy
droolin.gif
.. What an awesome setup you have.
love.gif
. I am going to try to recreate this if you done mind.. One side for rabbits and the other for coturnix...

Love the hutch you built, working on planning mine now and was curious about the cleaning aspect of yours. Does the slant between the levels mean the poop goes down and out between the lower level boxes? What changes would you make if any?

Nicole

I really love the design and the setting of your rabbit hutches! You must be a professional carpenter. Can you update the hutch information as far as poop removal goes? Thanks for the pictures and the reply.

Back
Top Bottom