Self Blue (Lavender) Silkie Thread

bacres

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
East Pennsylvania
I have a couple questions on Lavender Silkies.

If I were to breed a Lavender to a Black, Blue, or Splash would I get showable colored babies? I understand that you will get splits but can you show those B/B/S with the Lavender undercolor? Will all my Blacks be to light to be shown as Black? Will my Blues be mistaken for Lavenders? I currently have Black, Blue, Splash, and White and I was planning on leaving them all together and seeing what colors I would get. I amd figuring that the BBS is ok it is just what my whites will throw in.

Would youy suggest getting Lavenders and putting them in with my other colors I already have?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I'll answer you just so you won't think you are talking to the wind......NO, don't mix the Lavender if you can help it.
Hopefully some of the "Lavender People" will come along and help you.
I also want to raise some Lavender but I'm going to have to research it a lot better and get a hold of some good Lavender birds to start with. I think I have one nice one....but that's a long way from having a nice flock.
Good Luck!!!
Cheryl

Guess it's just you and me for a little while......you can mix them in....but you need to know who is what.
You have to have a way to know which egg is laid by which hen. You will get the split birds but how are you going to know which it is? See what I'm saying?
You want to hang on to your Lavender color.
Are you going to have a Lavender roo?
I think separation is the best way myself if that's possible. I know you sure don't want white mixed in....I'm no expert by any means but I think Blue/Black/Splash is about the only thing "safe" to run together.
I might be wrong.
And with these colors together [B/B/S] you aren't sure whats going to hatch either....could be all three.
OOOOPS I'll shut up and let the genetic folks come help you!
I hope you achieve what you are trying to do.
Cheryl

Well right now I was think about haveing a roo of each color with about 3 to 4 hens per roo. I have a 6 by 8 house with a 6 by 8 run. Im not quiet sure how many birds I can keep in there. I have heard I could have about 20 birds maybe a couple more because I have heard 3 square ft per bird.

Im glad u asked this question I have a white, a buff, and black hens and I was wondering if I got a black Roo could I run him with them ,what colors would I get or would they be be all mixed new to silkies but wanting to learn as much as posable;)

I have a lav roo and 4 black bearded hens-I only breed the lav roo to the blacks-I am getting splits-and plan to breed females back to dad to get a higher % of lavs-I would not cross lav's to whits ( the lav would be completely diluted) and so forth-my splits that are hatched are lighter than blacks-they have a greyish tone to them but that is the lav leaking through. I dont deal with too many other colors so Im not an expert combining lav with other colors-

Quote:
they do kinda have a blue hugh-very dark though but ..If I saw them and knew nothing of their genetics I would say they looked black-when they hatch they have grey fluff in some areas. I have a few 10 weekers and now they look more black and the grey has diminissed-

Ok so as they get older the tinges go away?

If anyone has Pictures of there own Lavender feel free to post them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom