HEN THINKS SHES A rooster? huh?

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
hello.
today i was enjoying the beautiful weather here in Ct. and my "girls" were out eating enjoying themselves., when one of my rir deceided to jump on the back of another rir (both girls) and start like mating her and using her beak at pulling on the others comb? she did this twice! what is this all about? is she just perhaps going to be going broody.
they are all hens,, i get eggs from each of them! so what gives?

thanks in advance!!

andrea-

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont have a roo she is trying to be a rooster. She is the alpha hen and could crow. Before I had a roo I had a RIR hen that was the alpha she had a few rooish tail feathers and RIR rooster markings. For a while I thought she was a rooster.

Last edited:
wow alpha hen! wow i thought i had another hen that was the alpha of them! confused now.
hmm.png

she does make this weird squeaking noise?
hmm.png

oh boy! thanks for the reply!

andrea

I have 5 red stars and one of them does this very same thing! She does not act over dominant in any other way just every once in a while i see her jump on the back of one of the other hens...looks like its a game for some reason...the other hens are more dominant but they dont do this. Sometimes when i go to pet one of the hens, she will squat down as if to be mounted....at least she doesnt run!

It is quite normal in the absence of a rooster for the head hen, or the hen at the top of the pecking order, to take up roosterly duties, although they can't technically do anything.
wink.png
Sometimes they will even crow!

its okay if she crowed.....i would love to hear it! i think its crazy! since i have 10 total chickens i guess a man is needed!!!
lol.png

andrea-

Back
Top Bottom