Emden Geese

ccrawf

Songster
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Springfield, Missouri
OK, let me try to explain the situation. I have 5 Emden geese eggs and 5 turkey eggs been in the incubator for a while. By my calculations, they should have hatched Sunday. It is now Monday night.
I did have one goose egg rock and then pip on Sunday, but didn’t make it all the way out of the shell until this morning, almost 24 hours later. Live and learn, I probably should have helped it some.
Humidity was about 40 percent for most of the time, and then I’ve raised it to about 80% after I went into lock down. Thing is I’m not sure what to do besides wait and see what the rest of the eggs do. And the one single gosling isn’t very happy being alone. I’ve moved him to a brooder box, and he seems to be relatively happy. Concerned that it took a whole day to get out of the shell, and now it has been about 36 hours since he pipped and he’s not eating hardly yet. Yes, I dunked the beak and that, a few times in fact. And I did get 2 bowel movements.
Delayed getting on here because I think I’m doing most things right, just have to sit and wait now. Any comments or suggestions?
And another note, I have a second batch due to hatch May 13 and candled them tonight. 12 of 12 chickens, 5 of 5 turkeys and5 of 9 geese eggs are good. And I just set 13 turkey eggs and 6 goose eggs for my third hatch due 24 May.
OK, here is a weird thing. I numbered all my eggs, and for the geese, the ones that didn’t develop seem to run in batches. 1-3 I ate, figuring the first weren’t fertile. 4-10 didn’t develop, figure not fertile. 11 is the one that hatched, and 12-15 are still in the incubator. 16-19 showed no development and I pulled them, but the others look good. Seems to run in cycles. Odd. Comments? Thanks, and I love this site.
Clay

This is in the brooder.
44098_dscn9929.jpg

This is just after the hatch in the incubator.

44098_dscn9926.jpg

A 'whole day' for a goose is not that long, they can take up to 3 days to hatch after they pip. So good for you that you didn't help, you probably would have killed it. Geese can take anywhere from 26 to 35 days to hatch, though most hatch around day 30. I don't know what else to say, other than be patient. If you move the eggs when they are set to hatch, you can also mess up the hatch. Gooslings' necks are so long, they kind of fold back on their bodies. Turning or moving them when they are close to hatching can cause them to get stuck. Good luck with the others
smile.png

Would a 8 month old cheinese gander fertile a two year old emden goose ? Get back to me as soon as possible!!!!!!

Thanks. They may have been turned accidentally, not sure.
Trying to get this one to eat, all by it's self, not doing too well.
How old is your gosling now? They should do o.k. for about 3 days without eating much just like chicks. Is it drinking on it's own? If so you might try adding just a little electrolytes to the water to sort of perk it up and give it a little more energy. I have 29 Cayuga duck eggs in the incubator right now, all dark grey to grey, so I can't candle them. They are due to start hatching in about a week and a half and it is just making me nuts not knowing if any of them are any good or not.

Would a 8 month old cheinese gander fertile a two year old emden goose ? Get back to me as soon as possible!!!!!!
It is possible. Eight months old is a little young but if the instinct to mate got him it will boil down to if he is fertile yet or not. My Toulouse begin mating before they were 10 months old in the dead of winter here and from what I have read on BYC geese are sort of going crazy mating early.

Back
Top Bottom