MY HENS BUTT IS RAW AND RED, WHAT IS IT?????

Pics

teriid856

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
[My 8 1/2 mth old ri red has a red, raw butt. I don't know why or what to do. She is eating, drinking and acting normal. I am also the one in the previous post that subject line is "please I need help". Thanks, Terri, itty, bitty and gritty:cd

Bare backs is usually from roosters hopping on and off, but can be plucking. Bare butts could be plucking/pecking. Any issues with mites or lice ??

Julie
smile.png

Her butt isn't just bare, its very red, actually raw looking and swollen. I have no roosters and she IS the bully. I'm a newbie, don't know about mites or lice. What should I look for? I was just reading over some earlier posts and I think maybe I feed too much left over "people"food. I give them everyday a full plate of lettuce, fruit ,leftover pasta and stuff like that. They eat more of that them their regular food.
big_smile.png
I think I"m going to back off treats, only regular feed and maybe a little oatmeal. Maybe tomorrow I'll give some yogurt, they love that. Anybody have anything else? Thanks again for your replies.

I dust the bedding and top the feed occasionally with food grade DE. It helps with parasite issues.

Is it possible some critter tried to snatch her thru the wiring and got a paw/claw full of feathers instead. Ripping them out of her body would make her swollen and red.

Is she laying well ??

Julie

could it be acid burn like a toddler would get from eating pizza and tomatoe sauces??? if ya think that is what it is which to me sounds like it from the acid in the people food. take desiten cream and smashed up tums mix them together and paste her butt with it. should be gone by 2-3 times after applying, works like a charm if that's it. has to be tums the other antacids don't work and desiten can be gegeneric as long as it is the white kind.

hope that helps and i'd cut down some on at least the acid type foods and lettuce, lettuce is basically just water nothing nutritional and if enough will probably give her diarea. if it's acid burn then it will make it worse if she starts haveing diarea.
hope that helps,
silkie

Thanks so much for your replies, I'm heading out to walmart for desitin and tums right now. I really think its acid from all the left overs. They've been given alot of bagged lettuce lately cause its easier for my hubby. Guess what....I'll never give bagged lettuce again. And even if I'm sick, I'll take care of my ladies myself
wink.png
Love my hubby but.......
tongue.png
only kidding , he's a good guy, more into the goats than he is to the chicks. Thanks again

purely a suggestion to help ease the topical irritation and swollen issues, but I would first flush the area with sterile saline (boil 1/4 tsp salt with a quart of water for five minutes) let that air dry and then apply some witchhazel ... airdry and then some aloe vera type solution on top of that if it does not respond to the other members suggestion. This is very soothing and healing and the witchhazel will help any swollen tissue. Keep her separated until healed.

Back
Top Bottom