chickens wont return to coop at night

irisheyes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
First post here guys and gals , we got our hens around easter and they have provided alot of enjoyment so far. I built them a nice coop and run but they are not going back into the coop at night? Is this normal or is there anything I can do other than rounding them up and putting them back in ?

Hi,
welcome-byc.gif
!

Keep putting them up at night, after a short while they'll figure it out.

I am a nubie, got my chickens this spring and have much to learn. I have read that it will stress my chickens if I chase and catch them to get them in the coop. But until they are trained do I have another choice? I have 10 in a well fenced 20X20 yard. The two Americandas have learned to come and go from the coop but the 3 Golden Laced Wyandottes and the 3 Buff Orpingtons are not the least bit interested. They will huddle under the coop or tool box rather than go in. They will take treats from my hand but will not follow the treats into the coop. The nights here are in the 40's and I hesitate leaving them out.

I trained my to go back inside by leaving a light on inside the coop...they were attracted to the safety of the light as it got dark outside. Then I'd turn it out when I went out to do a headcount. Now of course I don't have to do that. If you don't have electricity in your coop, you can place a flashlight out there. Turn it on about 30 minutes before dusk, and turn if off when you go to shut them inside (wish I could remember whose post I read the flashlight idea on...I thought it was terrific improv.).

Wait till right at dusk and pick them up. They wont run in the fading light. Just grab them quickly and pin the shoulders to avoid flapping. I know some dont like it but grabbing a leg and sweeping quickly of the ground works till you can get them upright and restrained may help. Just don't chase them to much. you'll get tired and they'll get hurt.

We did the light last year with our all male flock and it worked perfectly. It would just barely start getting dusky and they would high tail it into the coop for the night.

I had that problem at first. I think the problem is they need to get used to the coop before they know to return to it. Try leaving them inside the coop for a week straight. Then return to letting them out during the day, and they'll know where their home is and go home at night. My chickens are better than kids: They never stay up past their bedtime.

Back
Top Bottom