Siberian Husky? Good protectors?

Quote:
No. Husky's have a very high prey drive and tend to be extremely active. A husky would NOT be a good flock guard - quite the opposite.

I read the questions and spit up my coffee. I run a sled dog kennel, with sibes, alaskans, and mals. Honestly, a sibe would be the worst livestock guardian dog you could possibly choose. Between my neighbors and I (they also have sibes), the death and destruction of small furry and feathered creatures has been unmatched. Sibes love to chase and kill (kill not necessarily eat) chickens. Now, obviously not all and there are certainly exceptions to the breed as I'm sure there are some on the board with huskies and chickens co-existing peacefully, however I'd not bank on this dog being the exception. Last week I came home to 13 dead hens, necks broken and a sibe having scaled a 7 ft fence very pleased with herself. We've lost cats, kittens, rabbits (in the past, now we will never have these creatures again as we cannot keep them safe) and have had to build Fort Knox to keep chickens (8ftm], buried, electrified coop). One of my sibes hunts and kills, mice, voles, partridges and would run wild game if we let her.

My new neighbors husky wiped out about half of my flock in less than an hour while i was at work one day
sad.png
so no do NOT let a husky around your chickens.... EVER! =/

Last edited:
Quote:
I had the same reaction, LOL! Our Siberian though very beautiful to look at would hide under the porch when people came over and hunt 24 hours a day, she would kill birds, mice, rabbits anything she could catch, which was a lot because she was agile and fast. Oh and don't try to keep her in a fence she could scale anything we put her in.

Quote:
I had the same reaction, LOL! Our Siberian though very beautiful to look at would hide under the porch when people came over and hunt 24 hours a day, she would kill birds, mice, rabbits anything she could catch, which was a lot because she was agile and fast. Oh and don't try to keep her in a fence she could scale anything we put her in.

X3-- on the coffee spitting, This thread could do a number on byc keyboards. They are beautifull, intelligent dogs, but they have a massive prey drive that would make it unlikely to ever be safe with the chooks walking around the same yard, let alone gaurd them.

I used to have a husky and he killed/chased EVERYTHING. Keeping him in our yard was a chore in and of itself. I could never have trusted him around chickens as there was always something he killed in our yard. (try explaining that to your neighbors...)

Their gorgeous to look at but I would never own one again.

(for you husky lovers, I had him for almost 12 years and he succumbed to old age. I didn't get rid of him as the post implies. Quite the opposite, that dog lived like a king.)

Back
Top Bottom