How often do turkeys lay eggs & what to do with the eggs?

Maryallison

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
Hey there again! So how often will my new turkeys lay? Just got them yesterday. And someone told me before that turkey eggs do not scramble well. Is that true? I did get 1 egg yesterday, nothing today. It is so big and pretty, still have it on the counter, don't wanta crack it till I know what I am gonna do with it!
tongue.png

average of 1 every other day, younger hens often will lay a spert of 1 a day for a few days in a row, at least mine do, after the first year, they all tend to be 1 every other day, except royal palms, those things are egg making machines.
I sell or hatch all of mine and sell them as day old poults. They are worth too much for me to even think of eating, though I hear they are very good.
Eat it, hatch it or sell it, it's your call there
Good luck with the new birds!!

We ate pullet eggs from our hens first season of laying. They were not fertilized as far as we knew, didn't see TomTom doing his thing
wink.png
They scrambled fine, but to be honest me and mom couldn't eat them, nothing wrong with them but it seemed weird. Dad & Hubby said they tasted fine, just like egg
tongue.png
All the rest are in the 'bator.
big_smile.png

I have a hovabator, small incubator, and when I'm not putting the eggs in to hatch, I eat them and love it. They are just about like chicken eggs, the yolks are heavier and richer. ENJOY!!!

We hatch them and eat them. In a blind taste test, I don't think I could tell the difference between chicken and turkey eggs. The yolk is thicker, so it is kind of hard to scramble them, but they work ok. I also bake with them.

Quote:
Funny that you say that! I am new to turkeys-I have a pair of RPs. I have had my hen since she was 4 weeks old, my tom since Nov. (he was 7 months) and my hen has been laying for about a month now. I wasn't sure how many eggs to expect, but she lays 6 out of 7 days. She has surprised me! She is trying to be broody now, and I had to keep taking her eggs because they were promised to others, but now I am letting her keep them. I hope she can get them to hatch!

Quote:
Funny that you say that! I am new to turkeys-I have a pair of RPs. I have had my hen since she was 4 weeks old, my tom since Nov. (he was 7 months) and my hen has been laying for about a month now. I wasn't sure how many eggs to expect, but she lays 6 out of 7 days. She has surprised me! She is trying to be broody now, and I had to keep taking her eggs because they were promised to others, but now I am letting her keep them. I hope she can get them to hatch!

She will, watch them when they hatch though, they can get squished very quick in a breeding pen. I always put mine in a brooder.
Also if you keep pulling them, she'll lay for you all the way up til Oct or so. Mine do, they will take a 2-3 week period break when they go broody, but if you dont let her sit, she'll start right back up.
$3-$4 an egg is average price on the rp eggs, and $8-$10 per day old poult, even at that I stay backed up on them, they are in big demand every year, they're just so pretty, I'd keep her laying if you have a market for them!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom