When Do Chicks' Combs Start to Develop?

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
My chicks are 3 weeks old tomorrow. I ordered 12 pullets from MPC in a variety of brown egg layers (and one EE). I've been trying to tell if I have any roos. I have read posts talking about leg size and color, and overall size. I have noticed that some of them have already started to get their combs. Does early comb development have any indication of sex? I'm really hoping I don't have any roos, but I do understand that sexing is not 100%. Is 3 weeks still too early to determine if any are roos?

Last edited:
No I think that is about right. Not sure though. Some one else may know more than I . I have three week old chicks right now also and I have notice a few have very tiny little combs. No big ones. I hopeing to have no roos all so. I have too many right now. I will be intrested to found out all so.

It's too early for most folks, not the eagle-eyed, breed specific WonderKinds of BYC, though. (I am not one of 'em.)

big_smile.png

I have 5 chicks hatched on our farm 3 weeks ago. I took a close look at them tonight and noticed that 2 of them have bigger combs than the other 3. I have only had chickens for a year, but we started with 6 chicks and by 3 weeks I had guessed that 3 of them were roos and I was right. I am no expert but I'm pretty sure I have 2 roos this time.

Three weeks is too young to tell for sure for many breeds. Two of this years chicks are White Leghorns. By the third week one of the was obviously a rooster. His comb was growing daily and was much larger than the other White Leghorn. It was also bright pink. Usually pullets will have a yellow comb until they get a lot older (I believe close to laying age). Roosters combs may start turning pink at a very early age. I have a RIR and a Maren that I also think are roosters but I am not absolutely certain.

Sometimes you don't know for sure the sex of a chicken until it starts to crow or lays an egg.
hu.gif

I suppose what's going to make it even harder is that most are not the same breeds. I have 3 Cochins and 2 Wyandottes, so I guess I could compare those (if I can figure out which two are the Wyandottes). I also have an Australorp, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger (it is the biggest of the bunch), Dominique, Delaware, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a Silver Cuckoo Marans.

I guess time will tell!
idunno.gif

I really think the reason I can tell our roo from the pullets even at two weeks is the yellow dye in his fuzz from the hatchery
big_smile.png
....but it is twice the size of the rest of the chicks and slightly pink. we try to handle them daily and examine and hold each breifly passing them between two adults so maybe were being over critical and seeing things that dont exist due to overexposure to BYC forums?
big_smile.png

If you're comparing apples to apples (same breed, same age) you may be able to tell as early as three or four weeks. I have been able to see differences in the comb development on my bantam chicks since about that time.

Back
Top Bottom