Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
I think I might have read this on a thread here, but wanted to shout it from the barn top. We were having a horrible time with flies and nothing seemed to help much, including the stinky fly traps.

I bought several packages of vanilla scented "christmas trees" like you put in your car. I hung one in each pen, one on the back porch and one on the front porch of the house....and we don't have anymore flies. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I didn't post right away...but it's been over 2 weeks now and still no flies.

We do use DE and Stall Dry in the coops in addition to the vanilla air fresheners. I guess the flies hate the smell of it as much as I do.
big_smile.png
I'm not crazy about vanilla scented stuff but I'll sure tolerate it if it keeps the flies away.
wink.png

I've always heard (and seen) people with fly problems use water filled ziploc or some other clear bags hung up. I think the flies see their own reflection and then fly away!!!

We have the plastic bag fly traps hanging up and they do work pretty well. There is some stinking stuff in them, though and they will just about make you gag. But we still had flies inside the pens/coops until we hung up the air fresheners.

Come to think of it, I don't remember hearing any mosquitoes buzzing around when I was out in the coops.

BUT, my DH calls me "sweet meat" because they swarm all over me, eating me up when they leave him alone. So, I usually put insect repellent on before I go out outside at all in the warm weather.

Back
Top Bottom