pineapple for chickens

auntpea35

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
I just cut up a fresh pineapple and am wondering if chickens can eat the outside of the pineapple

there is a treat chart on here if you search it................ say's citrus is not good for them
hu.gif
I gave them to mine once , they lived

I know marths stewart puts them in a pitcher with a cup of sugar. then pours hot water over them and soaks for a day to get flavored water
droolin.gif

I've given mine the outside of a pineapple before. they weren't so sure what I was bringing them, but I usually have good stuff so they tried it!

They pecked off all the soft fruit part and left the outmost shell. I would imagine it doesn't do for a steady diet (low protein, etc.), but it's a good treat.

For all the charts and what to feed and not to feed information, I am wondering if there is any documented instance where a chicken was harmed by eating some food stuff of any kind. I understand poison (rat, mice, fly, herbicide etc.) but seriously not sure there has ever been a case of a bird being fed something from the fridge that hurt them.

Anyone have any stories regarding this? We eat things that are very good for us and stuff that is not so good. I am guessing chickens are very much the same.

I've heard that excessive fruit can make hens stop laying for several weeks, but how true that is I cannot say. Tomatoes (technically a fruit, after all) and pumpkins never seemed to cause problems for my girls, although I think it was just two or three of the 25 hens I had at the time that actually ate the pumpkin I gave them.

I get that they will lay less if the protein is less and good nutrition etc etc. Still asking if chickens have ever become ill after eating from the dread "do not feed list". Or more specifially from the (I can eat it but the chickens will die list)??

As far as I'm concerned the "If you can eat it they can eat it" rule applies. Most every Saturday we clean out the fridge & all the leftovers go to the chickens. We've only done this for 50 years or so but no problems so far.
One item on the don't feed list is Lamb's Quarters. Lamb's Quarters is a wild form of Spinach & is a common garden weed. I pull it & toss it to the chickens all the time with no ill effect. I don't give them all of it, we eat some. It's delicious.

Back
Top Bottom