What leaves ONLY the guts?

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
We dont seem to be missing anyone, I dont think, but DH and I found a 1-2 day old pile of intestines and what appeared to be the stomach laying in the cow pasture, a short distance behind the coop. No blood, to feathers, not the most miniscule trace of whatever animal the guts came from. Just a tidy gut pile. What am I looking at dealing with here?

My guess is a two legged predator. Probably a hunter field dressing his kill. Can't think of anything else that would neatly leave behind only the intestines

Quote:
I agree, sounds like a hunter. I used top find these piles all over property I was renting in PA, that my landlord was kind enough to also rent out to hunters (I hated it and was always worried for my dogs)

Could be that a dog ate them then barfed them back up, i saw this happen before they start eating them but the intestines do not break apart so the dog will swallow them whole and it upsets their stomach .

Could just be rabbit intestines leftover from a kill

Last edited:
I found a small pile of intestines and such in my backyard today. No fur. No feathers. No blood. No bones. Just the guts. My dog caught a whiff of it this morning, but didn't investigate and I didn't think anything of it. Later, when we came home from a couple of errands, she went over there again, but this time she was sniffing and very intent -- thankfully not touching it. And, still, I didn't check to see what it was. A short while later, I let the hens out to forage in the yard while I tied the tarp down on our wood pile. When I was raking up some wet leaves, I found a big earthworm. Usually, I protect the worms from the hens, if I can. This time, though, I picked it up and tossed it to Tilly, who is taking her time getting her new feathers after her molt. It was then that I noticed that pile of intestines. I've read that cats will often leave just the guts after licking them clean of blood. Honestly, that is the only thing that could have left this little pile of guts. No hunters in my backyard. No dogs. Maybe a hawk, but it wasn't there last night when I went to bed. And owls eat their food pretty much whole then either barf up or poop out the hair and bones.

Back
Top Bottom