Nesting Box Bedding

solidfreez

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Walla Walla, WA
We just started getting eggs a few days ago, so we're pretty excited about that, but I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for what to use on the bottom of a nesting box. We've put pine shavings in them, but the chickens scratch it all out every time they go in. I wouldn't worry about it, but we've already had a couple eggs crack, I'm guessing because they were laid right on the wooden bottom of the nesting box.

Does anyone have any good ideas for what I can line the bottom of the boxes with that is removable for cleaning, cheap or free, and might cushion the eggs a bit? Should I not even worry about this and hope the shells will get stronger as they continue laying?

Also, I've got one that lays on the floor of the coop. Two or three others have found the nesting boxes and have been using them, but this one just keeps laying on the floor. Does anyone have any ideas about how to entice her to lay in a box. We've got 13 hens, and 6 nesting boxes, so I don't think it's an issue with the boxes being too crowded.

I wouldn't use hay
wink.png
they tend to eat it and get impacted crops. I just sticks that fall from the tree
lol.png
it works
tongue.png
but it irritates me when they take them out! I used to have pine shavings and they made a mess! I used hay and they also made a mess...then I knew it was bad for chickens so I removed the hay. So instead I used sticks and stuck them in there so they couldn't take them out and it worked
big_smile.png
but if you're going to use sticks use thin ones
wink.png
thick ones will crack the eggs.

I use the weeds that I pull from the garden. I just put a huge pile in the nesting box. They sort of flatten as they dry and as the hens sit on them. They're free, plentiful, and easy to change. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio I'm glad to see you've joined us! I use straw for my hens to nest on. They like to scratch & re-arrange it daily. I add a fresh clump daily. I like to keep things fresh, since I plan to eat these eggs. A big bale of straw costs $5.00 out here in Ohio & lasts 2-3 months, so I find straw to be a good bedding material. It fits my budget & is easily replaced. If you can't find bales of straw, try some pine shavings NOT cedar cedar shavings can be toxic. If you use pine shavings, you could use a kitty litter scooper to clean :frowit out easily.Good luck, my new chicken loving friend!
frow.gif

I would go with a very thick layer of pine shavings. That is what we use and after a few tries with other bedding materials that didn't work out so awesome, this has been the best option. We have a 6" kick board at the front of our boxes to make sure the chickens don't kick out all the bedding and we layer about 8" squishing it down.

I get a bale of straw which is $3 here in Michigan. Keep it in garage and use it as needed. I agree with Mareezocool, it is cheap and lasts a long time.

Back
Top Bottom